UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Flyball Brags

gooster

Well, dogs can still jump the netting if they are really keen to, as it is not full height netting, but rather half height. Starters is all about getting the dog (and handler) into the swing of a flyball competition. At one show last year there was a bloke with a tiny JRT (Jacky will probably know him as I think he was a POD) and he actually ended up carrying the dog up to the box, triggering it with his foot and then carrying the ball back with him :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: They didn't win any races, but it was great to watch :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big brag to add to this now. Last weekend was my boys first flyball competition, and they were both brilliant. Jayne (Gooster) ran Kimba for me and I ran Jasper. We were in a team of my 2 and 2 collies, none of which had ever raced before, and Jasper had only had 4 practices and we managed to come 4th in our division despite one of the collies being partially blind and the other one deciding it would be much more fun to jump the netting and join the other team on several occasions.

Kimba was a star and did every run perfect and pretty quick. Jasper was also really good, he picked the ball up if he dropped it on the way back and went as fast as his little legs could carry him (not very quick), and by the end of the day was absolutely pooped, as soon as we stopped, he flopped onto the floor and was dead to the world for the next 2 hours!!!

Not only was Jasper fab for the flyball, it was also a massive achievement for him to be there at all, one that I wasn't sure he was going to make. He has had a lot of problems and came to me absolutely terrified of people 8 months ago, he couldn't cope with people being anywhere near him and was terrified of me leaving him. So for him to go to a show with hundreds of people around and even let a couple of complete strangers give him treats, he lay down with people around and really relaxed despite the manic atmosphere right next to the ring.

I am so proud of both my boys, but especially Jasper, my scared little dog has come good :wub:

Had a fantastic weekend at all about dogs. Murphy and ellie were reserves for our starters team who came 4th and the harriers (Megan's team) came 2nd in division 2, with our fastest ever time of 18.77! Sadly it was a nail biting finish with the last run being neck and neck, but we were just that little bit too tired and meg got an early changeover. But i'm still chuffed to bits!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really proud of Kimba, this weekend he had his first competition without netting. It was our home show and I had been asked to run him in the starters as usual and in the 2nd multi-breed team. Cue big panic and being absolutely convinced that we were going to let the team down and he was going to run out of the jumps (we had only really done one practice without netting and he had to have a couple of wings and a person to convince him to jump the first jump after getting the ball, he just turned too wide and didn't see the point in pulling himself back in).

So I arrived at the ground on Friday night having just about come to terms with him running in that one only to be told he was also running in a team that we had hastily put together to run in division 4 on the Saturday cos one of our other teams had dropped out. So that meant that in 1 weekend Kmba was running in starters on Saturday, open team on Saturday and multi-breed on Monday.

Well I needn't have worried, he was an absolute star, managed really well with the higher jumps and only ran out a couple of times in the whole weekend and that was right at the end of Monday when it had started raining (he hates the rain), we were using a different box cos ours had broken and he kept fumbling the ball and he was really tired. I am so proud of my boy :wub:

• 1 month later...

Our team did it's fastest ever time this weekend. We didn't think that with the 4 dogs in the team we run now, that we could get below 19 seconds. We managed 18.73 yesterday :huh: What a difference someone standing on the line makes :biggrin: And we won the division :biggrin:

• 2 months later...