UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Animal Magic Or Just Cruelty?

Yantan

Cruelty :( I would not go to a circus with animals performing - it's about the conditions they are kept in, methods used for training as well as the actual performances.

I wish people would boycott these things, again like puppy farming, greyhound racing etc. it needs people to realise the cruelty involved and stop throwing money at the places, keeping them in business :(

I too truly hoped the days of circus performing animals had long gone :mecry:

What a sad day.

Jules you will be glad to know that an MP for Shropshire was on the radio earlier voicing his disgust at this. He was also calling for legislation to stop animals being abused in this fashion. I don't remember his name but I think they said he represented Wrekin.

If it's of any interest I've set up a facebook group 'Say No to Circus Elephants' just trying to spread the word to as many people as possible that it isn't acceptable. The Great British Circus seem to believe the British public want to see performing elephants, so it's up to the British public to persuade the Circus that it IS NOT wanted

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=132444725363

I disagree not just with elephants being forced to perform tricks in an arena, but with the use of any animals for our "entertainment". Even if these animals are of the domesticated variety, life on the road will inevitably compromise their quality of life, not to mention the fact that these animals are there to make money for their "owners". Where there's money involved, the welfare of the animal always comes second :( :(

I disagree not just with elephants being forced to perform tricks in an arena, but with the use of any animals for our "entertainment".

I meant all animals, and I assume everyone else did too; it's just that the article focussed on elephants. I hate circuses and always have, even though they were popular when I was a child - but there are many other forms of exploitation, as you point out, and I certainly don't think that other creatures are there for my entertainment.

Nor do I really think we should be using elephants and other animals to work for us; I suppose it depends on the training methods, but I bet most of them involve cruelty. I spent a while on Google earlier, looking at what elephants have had to endure at our hands - not an edifying read. :(

No all animals who appear in the media are ill treated. A friend of mine regularly 'wrangles' all sorts of animals for TV appearances and adverts, uses totally 100% positive reward only based methods and the animals welfare is always put first.

There was also some research done about 20 years ago on travelling circuses which had animals, and many species actually exhibit fewer signs of stress than the same species kept in more 'traditional' conditions. Big cats do quite well in circuses, as do horses and dogs, so long as the training methods used are reward based ofcourse. Sadly because this research didn't back up the message the RSPCA, who commisioned it, wanted, it wasn't published at the time. The researcher was Marthe Kiley Worthington, if anyone is interested.

So you agree with performing wild animals in circuses then K9ran?.

I have demonstrated against this vile circus more than once and the owner physically assaulted my

friend and due to police c*** up he was let off!! We ask the police to be there for our own safety

not theirs. So regardless of what Martin Lacey and his crew say it is us demonstrators that need protection.

His home town is Hull and they travel all over the country staying at a week ort two weeks at one ground then move on. Beast wagons too small as well. Wicked and evil.

Trust Newark town to hold it there, they allow the fox hunting fraternity to meet there on boxing day.

If you log onto Captive Animal Protection you can read all about this circus. There is no cruelty free way of training wild animals.

Yes they say they love their animals but it is morally and ethically wrong to cage let alone, train wild animals to perform for public entertainment. This is the 21st century, what next, show deformed humans again?.

The RSPCA's hands are tied, my friend who is an RSPCA inspector has had to go along to see the animals and by law they have to announce their visit to the circus so when he arrives to inspect the animals they are in a clean environment. They cannot make an unannounced visit. He hates to see it, but cannot do anything by law, because the animals are well fed and appear to be in good health.

Appalling :mad: I used to go to protests when animal circuses came to our area and seen a few of our people assaulted-makes you wonder what the animals go through :(

I was also invited to go and look at some of the animals at a visiting circus and a friend of mine came with me just in case. It was quite daunting and so sad to see the elephants with leg chains on in a very dark tent. They looked so switched off and depressed. Same with the horses we looked at in another tent, also in the dark-to keep them quiet and subdued I expect :(