UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Irresponsible Kennels

GoldenOldie

I have been contacted by a former colleague from work this morning as I have been helping to rehome a Tibetan Spaniel and he seems just right for her. She is a sensible retired lady with 2 grandchildren who visit a lot and a cat.

She and her husband visted local kennels a few weeks ago and were taken with a staffie x bitch which had been in the kennels for 4 days. They were allowed to take her home that day and within days she was growling at the grandchildren and was difficult to manage on walks because of dog aggression, in spite of being lovely with people.

They sadly had to take her back so it was a no win situation for them and the dog.

I think it was entirely irresponsible of the kennels to let a dog go without homecheck etc. although they knew about the children and the cat and I also think that in 4 days, with no proper history (they were told) the kennels could not have known much about this dog and it's behaviour.

2 years ago I went to a very well known kennels with my daughter to see a dog and while I was there watched with some interest some new doggy fosterers looking at an entire male staffie needing to go into foster care. It was playful around the would be fosterer and the children but the moment a dog came into sight became anxious and aggressive, nearly pulling her off her feet to get to the other dog. the same happened when they walked it through the cattery. I was appalled to hear the kennel manager telling them he would settle down in a home environment and was just excitable.

This is not a rant against bull breeds as I have owned bull terriers and a staffie in my 30 years of owning dogs and love them, it is just coincidental that in these 2 incidents the dogs were staffies; my argument against irresponsible kennels applies to any dog which is homed without proper assessmet and sold on to average pet owners who should not be expected to manage unpredictable behaviour whatever the cause. It is sad for would be owners and dogs, particularly the dogs, as they often then get into the cycle of homing and return, or worse, which they don't deserve.

This sounds rather like the sort of kennel which has a council contract rather than a charity run with the animals welfare in mind. The more dogs they can rehome, the more profit they make....

You're right - state of the art kennels and anyone can walk in, choose a dog, pay and walk out.

I've ranted and raved on two occasions (after being nice at first!) to a certain dogs' home over here who just have a policy of "you pay and you can choose a dog", resulting in a number of completely irresponsible rehomings. Dogs escaped regularly and were a threat to other dogs who were being walked around the estate, and having a GSD X rottie mouth off at you when you don't know much about dogs is a very frightening experience - I've heard people who wanted to go out stayed in until they knew that the "coast was clear". The staff at said dogs' home was completely unwilling to address the situation and became right snotty with me for calling them up about it in the first place.

They also thought that rehoming the above unneutered male together with an unspayed bitch was a good idea, with me asking if they thought it was a good idea to rehome 2 dogs to get 8 puppies from that mating back in a few months' time? :mad: