UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Lurchers And Drontal

cycas

Does anyone know if Drontal is usually OK as a wormer for lurchers?

I just had a minor brain moment in the vet and couldn't remember which wormer I usually get for Mollydog, so they sold me some Drontal.

I've just checked my own records and found that Mollydog had a bad reaction to Drontal a couple of years ago and normally I get Advocate. (The reason the vet couldnt' tell me this is that I tend to grab wormers whenever I go in with whatever animal has decided my wallet needs trimming, and they don't usually bother putting wormers onto the record for the specific animal, so probably it had got stuck under some rabbit or cat or other, and I didn't want to make her go through all 13 vet records...)

I'm now wondering if I can safely worm Az with the Drontal that I've got here, and just keep the second lot for next time, and just get Advocate for Molls, or if the reaction is a common sighthound thing and I shouldn't give it to either of them...?

I used Drontal for all my lot for years without any ill effects. I'm not aware there's any problem giving it to sighthounds, but maybe I've just been lucky!

For some reason my vets have changed now to Milbemax as their default wormer, that's been fine too.

Oh good, sounds like I can just use this lot for Az then and grab some Advocate for Molls next time.

Molls was spectacularly sick when she had it, which I think probably meant that it didn't stay down long enough to do any good, quite apart from the mess! Plus she then drooped around the place moaning to herself until I called the vet at 2am... But it sounds as though that was just her being the one and only, as usual. :rolleyes:

Edited by cycas

I thought Collies had problems with Milbemax.......

Yes, that's definitely the one to avoid if you have a collie type - I only know this from a collie rescue, but fortunately we'd not bought it! I was going to mention that too Victoria, couldn't remember whether Az had any collie in him?

We use Drontal but I don't have sighthounds. It tends to give the dogs a loose pooh for a day or so but I guess that's the nature of the tablets. Victoria, I buy my Drontal via the OC link from Vet UK, they're a lot cheaper than my vet.

I thought Collies had problems with Milbemax.......

That's interesting, I hadn't heard that before. Do you know what the problem is with this?

Sophie is collie x whippet. I've given her Milbemax several times now without any noticeable problems, but I wonder now if I should switch back to Drontal for her.

Hi Fiona, some collies - and in fact it is any herding type breed - have a gene that makes them react to Ivermection. Here is the full information about Milbemax but to be honest if Sophie hasn't reacted by now don't worry. I have given it Chloe for the last three years (and she is rough collie cross which in theory would be the worst and she is fine on this but did have a reaction to injected Droncit as I said before.

WORMERS - IVERMECTIN/AVERMECTIN/ABAMECTIN

For Collie owners.

The three names aboveare used to describe the same class of compounds, including Avermectin B1a, Avermectin B1b, Ivermectin,and Abamectin.

[see web site: PESTICIDE PROFILE

A Stabal Mail Bugle reader bought to our attention that a new worming product being promoted at the Vets contained Ivermectin [see our other page re Ivermectin]. Ivermectin can have fatal results when used on Collies, particularly Rough Collies.. It was suggested that this new product MILBEMAX contained Ivermectin and people should be aware of this fact considering the consequences it could have.

I have put a brief note in the next Bugle which should be with you shortly but in the meantime I looked up the product MILBEMAX on the internet and it seemingly does contain Avermectin which as the site above quotes it as the same class of compound.

MILBEMAX used for the treatment of mixed infections by roundworms, hookworms, whipworms and tapeworms, and the prevention of heart disease in dogs and for the treatment of mixed infections by heartworm, hookworms and tapeworms in cats.

According to the companies web site which I will link to below, the product should be administered with or after some food. Treatment of dogs with a high number of circulating microfilariae can sometimes lead to the appearance of hypersensitive reactions, such as pale mucous membranes, vomiting, trembling, laboured breathing or excessive salivation. this is quoted as not a direct effect of the product.

It does say under special precautions and warnings that studies with milbemycin oxime indicate that the margin of safety in certain dogs of Collie or related breeds is less than in other breeds. In these dogs, the recommended does should be strictly observed. The tolerance of MILBEMAX in young puppies from these breeds has not been investigated.

I think considering the disasterous effects on our Collies when Ivermectin was used it would be as well if you all read in full the manufacturers notes on their web site below.

NOVARTIS

Oh good, sounds like I can just use this lot for Az then and grab some Advocate for Molls next time.

Molls was spectacularly sick when she had it, which I think probably meant that it didn't stay down long enough to do any good, quite apart from the mess! Plus she then drooped around the place moaning to herself until I called the vet at 2am... But it sounds as though that was just her being the one and only, as usual. :rolleyes:

My hounds can tolerate Drontal but funnily enough not Advocate :unsure: A dose of that had them vomiting for hours when we tried it :rolleyes:

Hmph, revised opinion, I can give it to Az if I can get it into the tiny twit. Apparently the only way to eat lunch today is to take a single kibble, walk with it to your bed, heave an enormous sigh, bat your eyelashes, do the 'Princess Diana' face, eat the kibble, and come back for the next one...

He's eaten 3 Drontal quarters concealed in blobs of meat, fingers crossed that the other 5 will not be spurned, but I could be doing this for some time.

I forgot to say, yes, I think Az does have some collie, though he is mostly whuppety greyhoundy grey thing, he's got that sort of ruff under the ears that is supposed to be characteristic of a border collie x. Also, he's a bit mad, which may be a better indicator...

I had heard that Milbemax was not quite the thing for collies, but I'd have thought that if they had the gene, Fee's would have reacted by now. Apparently there is a test you can have done to check for the problem if you are so inclined: not all collies have the sensitivity and some dogs that are not collies do have it, so I just steered clear...

Edited by cycas