UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Ecstasy "not Worse Than Riding A Horse"

ReikiAnge

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose he is looking at it from a purely statistical point of view but it proves to me yet again that they might have high IQs these people but they have zero common sense :wacko:

As you say, looking at numbers only, his statement has some sense BUT in reality it is just stupidity :wacko:

Horse riding people know the risks involved in their sport and make the choice to partake using that knowledge.

Ecstasy does kill and those taking it are not always aware of that risk. They get offered a pill to take to make the party really fun but no-one tells them of the risks involved. And usually because they've had a bit to drink they forget anything they may have learnt about ecstasy elsewhere eg school, college.

i'd decriminalise all drugs, myself

:unsure: not to me I'm afraid. Drugs being illegal does stop some people taking them at the moment,if they were legal the users would still take them but so would some people who are not taking them now. Why would legalising them help apart from cutting that bit of work out for the police? x

Drugs being illegal does stop some people taking them at the moment,if they were legal the users would still take them but so would some people who are not taking them now.

I'd worry about more people considering it acceptable to use them too. I've known various people taking drugs. Some have managed just fine to keep their life together and indulge a little like someone else might have a few glasses of wine. Others have completely screwed up their lives and ended up with mental illness :( I'd worry more might go that way if they were legal - but maybe others have a good argument for that not being the case?

I sometimes wonder what planet these "advisors" are on.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7876425.stm

The mind boggles, really it does. :wacko:

In this context I found this actually really funny comments :laugh: :laugh:

To me it would depend on the quality of the XTC compared to the user's skill as a horse rider - I've seen people doing some damn stupid things on horseback! :wacko:

:unsure: not to me I'm afraid. Drugs being illegal does stop some people taking them at the moment,if they were legal the users would still take them but so would some people who are not taking them now. Why would legalising them help apart from cutting that bit of work out for the police? x

The fact that they are illegal doesn't stop people who want to take them -if you want them you can find them. What would (hopefully) change if drugs would be legalised is that there would be a form of 'quality control' and you would know what each pill would contain - rather than trusting the dodgy looking guy with the tracksuit bottoms in a dark corner of a club.

To be honest I always get a bit annoyed when there is a big story about someone having injured or killed themselves due to drug use - when it's "party drugs" like XTC or coke. It'd be great, and far more balancd, if they would report weekly roundups of hospitals, with the number of cases they received either in A&E or other departments, which were related to alcohol abuse. Thousands of people end up in hospital every week, either because they got pissed and injured themselves, or because they've become a victim of alcohol-fuelled aggression. I've got a far bigger problem with alcohol abuse than with pople taking 'happy pills' :rolleyes:

i'd decriminalise all drugs, myself

So I guess I'm wasting my time feeling sick to the pit of my stomach when I smell 'weed' on my 17 year old clothes and for being scared as to where it may lead coz believe you and me, as someone who has never taken anything I worry like hell

So I guess I'm wasting my time feeling sick to the pit of my stomach when I smell 'weed' on my 17 year old clothes and for being scared as to where it may lead coz believe you and me, as someone who has never taken anything I worry like hell

I don't blame you for worrying :GroupHug:

Billy, I agree, there are a lot of alcohol fuelled incidents - but to me that's a good example of why something being legal doesn't reduce a problem.

For those that feel drugs should be legalised - how do you think that would help? I'm genuinely interested because I've seen some people really f*ck up their lives with drugs and would be interested to hear how people feel legalisation would improve things.

I'll confess to smoking dope for a long time, probably from age 16 to 35 when I just grew out of it. I took acid at age 20 and it scared the hell out of me so never had the slightest inkling to take anything really stronger, I therefore refused anything else on offer. Throughout my time smoking I held down a job, could get up in the morning and attained a senior position.

Tisann :GroupHug: kids do their own thing - it doesn't mean he will go on to harder drugs, have you spoken to him about the fact you know he his smoking calmly.

I don't blame you for worrying :GroupHug:

Billy, I agree, there are a lot of alcohol fuelled incidents - but to me that's a good example of why something being legal doesn't reduce a problem.

For those that feel drugs should be legalised - how do you think that would help? I'm genuinely interested because I've seen some people really f*ck up their lives with drugs and would be interested to hear how people feel legalisation would improve things.

Like I said it would mean that there would be standards to which pill A, B and C have to adhere to- which, granted, doesn't mean that substandard stuff wouldn't still be sold by the dodgy guy in the trackie bottoms. If better stuff can be bought legally though he'll be out of business in no time. It would also mean that a lot of criminals and their associated activities would become obsolete.

I'll confess to smoking dope for a long time, probably from age 16 to 35 when I just grew out of it. I took acid at age 20 and it scared the hell out of me so never had the slightest inkling to take anything really stronger, I therefore refused anything else on offer. Throughout my time smoking I held down a job, could get up in the morning and attained a senior position.

Tisann :GroupHug: kids do their own thing - it doesn't mean he will go on to harder drugs, have you spoken to him about the fact you know he his smoking calmly.

Totally agree with CT here. I smoked dope and it didn't stop there. Throughout I've always been able to go to work or college, I've never missed a day due to drugs, rather I managed to hold down a day time job and 2 voluntary ones, which meant I made 20 hour days at times. Wouldn't recommend it though :rolleyes:

I think what people need to realise is that young people are curious and will experiment with things, some more than others. People who take drugs, or indeed drink a lot of alcohol, have got an addiction, which is in their personality. Has got nothing to do with the drugs themselves. If someone has a chocolate addiction surely it isn't the fault of the chocolate? I understand that drugs (and alcohol!!) can do a lot more harm than chocolate, but that isn't the point. When taken in moderation most people won't have any problems, it's when things are taken in excess. But the decision whether you want to drink one glass of wine or a bottle of White Lightning a day is yours; the substance itself hasn't got anything to do with that.

Likewise, smoking a joint on the odd occasion is a completely different ball game to sticking a needle up your arm every day. I'm pretty sure that most people on here have no desire to sit in a cold, smelly doorway with a bottle of cider or vodka.

I know I keep bringing alcohol (and chocolate! :D ) into the equation, but I'd really like people to realise that things aren't better or worse for you depending on whether theyre legal or not. Surely people have learned about the Great Drought in history class? People in the US weren't allowed any alcohol, so what did they do? Brewed it in secret. And that caused a massive amount of illness and death, because you got all sorts of lethal concoctions. On the other hand, would you be happy if alcohol now became illegalised in this country because there are a few thousand who use it to, quirew literally, drown their problems in? No more nice glasses of wine by the open fire in the winter or outside on the patio on a summer's evening? Don't think so.

What I'm trying to say, in a very longwinded way, is that illegalising something has never stopped people from taking/doing it. It's people's personalities that tell them that they "need" something, be it alcohol, caffeine or drugs, and it's up to the person themselves whether or not they are going to respond to that need. Honestly, been there, done that. I'd say it's far better to control these things and have, for example, medical facilities at a festival or rave or what have ya. That can deal with these things right there and then, than people having to go through all sorts because they can't get to a hospital or don't want their parents to find out. :wink:

And here endeth my rant :flowers: