UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Yet Another Example.....

GoldenOldie

On Monday I lost my elderly foster dog Lady, a wonderful GSD suffering from epilepsy and CDRM. She came to me 4 months ago from a local sanctuary having been found as a stray 2 years previously. She was very loved and cared for in the kennels but was fairly institutionalised after that length of time. Lady was in a post ictal phase when she arrived and was still confused and disoriented and a bit wobbly on her back legs. My 2 elderly labs. and 4 cats looked on in amazement as this very large girl wobbled her way around around my very small terraced cottage, exploring everywhere, falling over them occasionally and "collecting" things, which subsequent experience taught me was a feature of her behaviour in the post ictal phase of her cluster fits. Items included plates, tea towels, plant pots. a bread knife (removed from the washing up bowl in the sink) and dog leads; she liked to chew dog leads, teatowels and plastic and twice daily poop scooping was an exploration into the unknown in the first days of her arrival, multi coloured/textured poops were a regular feature! She wandered a lot at night and rarely reacted to anyone, never wagging her tail or licking and walks were a matter of head down plodding along.

Within a week she began to change and slowly began to take an interest in her surroundings on walks, loved the car,became calm and settled in the house and played with my daughter's young dogs. She was completely clean in the house, wonderful with the other animals and with my grandchildren and demonstrated pleasure and excitement with tail wags, twirling and lots of noise!10 weeks on( the longest seizure free phase she had experienced) she had a series of fits

and after 2 days she stayed at the surgery until she was stable, which took a further 3 days. I went to see her in the surgery and in spite of being sedated she got up and when I reached out to stroke her she licked my hand for the first time - which completely broke me up.

Lady was already on a raft of medication to keep her stable and required additional medication which was unfortunately given in the wrong dosage so her recovery was slowed down because she became very unsteady and weak until the dose was reduced.She was also on a special hepatic diet as the anti convulsants had caused some liver damage.

In spite of her health issues she had a happy and peaceful life although the CDRM became more of an issue and she had days when a walk wasn't possible and she struggled to manage the small steps into the garden unless she had help. She couldn't manage hard floors and I had a series of non slip mats in the kitchen and conservatory to help her grip; in between she was the first at the door when the leads came out and led the way up to the farm track for a walk and then back home for food/treats/naps. Her recall was excellent and it was wonderful to see her exploring the grass verges and pottering off on her own .

The sanctuary was unstinting in it's support in maintaining her health and covered all the vet's bills ; she had food supplements, vital for her liver problems at a cost of £100 monthly which they also covered.

From Xmas she had more bad mobility days than good and at times I had to walk her, if at all, without the other dogs as I sometimes needed to support her back end to steady her. She loved her food but started to lie down to eat and in the last weeks became distressed if she wanted to go out and couldn't get up without help. In all this time she never had an accident and managed to go outside even hours before the end although I was padding the kitchen and conservatory with newspaper and discouraging her from going out.Last week she suddenly had a burst of energy and every day managed a good, steady walk with the others and was in and out with just an occasional wobble. 2 hours after her teatime walk on Friday she was staggering and this progressed over the weekend until she was virtually unable to stand on Monday morning. She also fitted on Sunday morning .

I had already discussed with the sanctuary and the vet about letting her go with dignity if her condition deteriorated and on Monday I knew that time had come and her tired eyes told me she did as well. She 'd had enough. The dogs and I sat with her until the vet arrived and they peacefully shared lots of treats, her diet no longer an issue. It was interesting to see all 4 of the cats also scattered around the living room as their morning routine is normally to be upstairs on the bed or outside.

Lady had a peaceful and dignified end at home surrounded by love and is yet another example of older dogs who adapt to changes in their life and bring so much joy to the people they own. I have worked in animal welfare for 30 years and taken many old, sick and distressed animals, all of which have been loved, but occasionally , as all animal lovers know, along come the ones that squeeze your heart ; Lady was one such of these.

I lit a candle for her this morning.