UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Non Animal Tested Products

EAD

Over the last week or so ive been having a nosey on the uncaged website and was horrified to see the shampoo I use (Herbal Essence) test on animals along with other stuff I use on a regular basis :(

Im not saying I can afford to just bin everything I have already in my cupboards but will be making a real effort to buy non animal tested products from now on.

Gonna change from Avon eyeliner to Urban Decay and Tampax to Mooncup to start with.

There are so many on the website but wondered if anyone had specific recommendations :wink:

I thought Avon didn't test on animals,I've always been told they don't.

Recently I've bought Naked Shine stuff and their motto is 'we don't believe in testing on Bambi,Lassie or Skippy' which made me smile.I got this stuff in Boots.

I've also bought TreacleMoon stuff from Tesco's and it says 'tested on us not animals'.

Both are lovely.

I thought the same about Avon too Jules and switched to some of their products when Body Shop sold out to one of the biggest animal testing companies out there :mad: I have read negative stuff about Avon too so am a bit :wacko: there.

I use Paul Mitchell hair products and some Yaoh products - a moisturiser and shower gel.

It's a real b*gger when I find something I like and then can't buy it anymore (Body Shop) as my skin can be really sensitive and react to all sorts, especially my scalp :(

I havent heard bad things about Avon? :unsure: I also switched to them when Bodyshop was taken over too. I buy all my personal stuff from them, hair products, face cream, shower gel etc. Maybe I will have to search for another brand :( I noticed today that Tesco have a new brand of household stuff in called 'Daisy' of the cheap and cheerful variety. Fabric softner, washing powder, washing up liquid etc. I checked and the only one that WASNT animal friendly (or wasnt state otherwise) was the WUL. Handy as I do shop at the local Metro sometimes. I have been buying mine from a local Smash n Grab type shop that sells animal friendly house cleaning products.

From Uncaged (I see Ecover is on the bad list too...another one I didn't know about :unsure: ).

The ‘Bad’ List

The following companies either openly use animal-tested chemicals, or fail to demonstrate that the finished product and the ingredients they use have not been tested on animals since a fixed cut-off date.

COMPANIES TO BOYCOTT

Avon Cosmetics Jeyes

Beiersdorf Johnson & Johnson

The Body Shop/L’Oreal+ Lancome

Chanel Lever Fabergé

Christion Dior L’Oreal/Nestlé

Clinique Miners Cosmetics

Colgate Palmolive PZ Cussons

Coty Reckitt Benckiser

Ecover* Revlon

Estée Lauder SC Johnson

FCUK Virgin Vie

Garnier Yardley

Givenchy Yves Rocher

GlaxoSmithKline Yves Saint Laurent

Helena Rubenstein Unilever

+ The Body Shop are now owned by L’Oreal/Nestlé.

* Ecover do not have a FCOD, they follow the ‘5 year rolling rule’, which is why they feature on the ‘bad’ list.

:( I better find another supplier then. :rolleyes:

You might want to read the whole Uncaged page on testing, though. It isn't straightforward at all. As far as I know, Avon still say they don't do animal testing - but there's an explanation from Uncaged about why they include companies like those. It's a minefield. :(

I think the rolling rule is the same reason the BUAV wouldn't list Lush - I emailed them about this as they were still listing Body Shop, even knowing it had been bought by L'Oreal, with presumably some of the BS profit at least going to the giant animal testing company that is L'Oreal (which always seems to argue against anything which might reduce animal testing).

In that situation I'd far rather buy Lush than Body Shop. The BUAV might have changed, it's a year or so since I contacted them.