UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Greyhound Thigh Baldness

TaraMoochi

A few years ago the RCVS was doing research into this - I sent in pics of Lucy, her mum and her sister.

A lot of Lucy's hair grew back - there was only a small bald patch on each thigh by the time she was 9, whereas her mum had much bigger patches still when she died, and she had been retired far longer than Lucy - so possibly not all down to genes.

Did not give Lucy any supplements.

oops sorry - still signed on as CARE from homecheck requests!!! It is Buddyboy!

Edited by Ceredigion Animal Rescue

Bald Thigh Syndrome in greyhounds is very common. There has been some research, and it seems in some cases to be linked to low thyroid levels, so if the dog shows any other symptoms (lethargy, weight loss, erratic behaviour) it would be worth getting thyroid levels checked.

Otherwise it seems to 'just happen' with greyhounds. Sometimes it's permanent, with other dogs it seems to come and go. Stimulating the skin by gentle brushing or using a 'hound glove' is said to help, and evening primrose oil is good for general coat/skin condition so might be worth a try.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

The loss of hair on ex racing greyhounds can be attributed to the way they were reared. Generally the problem arises because as pups they had to lie in their own urine

and subsequently the hair, skin and underlying tissue would be burned and therefore unable to sustain hair growth. It is simply a sad reflection how some people treat racing greyhounds. I say some because I used to know a lot of people who owned, trained and raced these wonderful animals, myself included and they were treated like Lords of The manner. It would not be the first time that my dinner would disappear from right under my nose.