UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Rimadyl

gooster

Moss has been on rimadyl for nearly two years now and has non of the side effects as far as im aware... his liver function isnt as good as it could be, but that was bad before he started the rimadyl anyways... he has liver function tests done every 3 months...

She went back to the vets yesterday, and since we were concerned about her continuing with the rimadyl, the vet said to leave her off it and see how she goes on. She's on restricted exercise for another 3 weeks ( :huh: ) but if she starts to go wobbly again, we have to ring up and they'll dispense some metacam for her and then she'll have another follow up a week after commencing the metacam.

The vet did do a test for CDRM (?) on her, where she turned her back feet over - Shara was picking them up and putting them back, but she was taking longer than a normal dog to do so :unsure:

When the vet felt her hips, she did howl and winge again, but she was doing that when the vet wasn't even touching her :rolleyes:

So, I think it's just going to be a 'wait and see' kind of thing really, next step if she isn't better with the metacam, is x rays :unsure:

Edited to add - I wouldn't mind her being on something that would affect her kidneys in the long term if she was an older dog, but because she's only 6, if it's a lifetime thing, she would be affected earlier by kidney damage, and we's probably lose her prematurely.

Glad to hear your vet's being helpful etc. I would say though that Metacam has exactly the same risks as Rimadyl and is not the "safer" option many people assume it to be, if you're worried about long term use.

Have you thought about hydrotherapy? :)

Guest chilover
my Rottie, Murphy has been on Rimadyl for his ED (and following his 2 x TPLO ops) for just over a year now and we have had no problems - he has had blood tests done twice in this period and they have been ok.

If there really isn't an alternative to our dogs pain relief needs, then we sometimes do have to go with the conventional...and just keep a close eye on them as you are doing with Murphy.

Even human, over the counter, non steroid ant-inflammatories can have pretty horrendous side effects...read the leaflet that comes with them :(

Not pleasant reading.