UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Rimadyl

gooster

Shara is currently taking rimadyl for her suspected HD. She has 50mg twice a day (I think - one of them big meaty flavoured tablets :unsure: ), as well as a green lipped mussel tablet once a day. Since starting her on them, she has been panting a lot more than normal, although I don't know whether that's down to the tablets, or the fact that the heating has been on a lot more recently :unsure: She's also gone from having a cast iron bladder, to crying to be let out every hour (although I'm guessing she's drinking more, but can't tell for definite as the boys drink from the same bowl as her...)

She's back at the vets on Friday, so we'll mention it then, but just wondered whether it was a common thing with rimadyl (plus we meant to mention it when we took Ed last Friday but forgot :rolleyes: )

Shara is currently taking rimadyl for her suspected HD. She has 50mg twice a day (I think - one of them big meaty flavoured tablets :unsure: ), as well as a green lipped mussel tablet once a day. Since starting her on them, she has been panting a lot more than normal, although I don't know whether that's down to the tablets, or the fact that the heating has been on a lot more recently :unsure: She's also gone from having a cast iron bladder, to crying to be let out every hour (although I'm guessing she's drinking more, but can't tell for definite as the boys drink from the same bowl as her...)

She's back at the vets on Friday, so we'll mention it then, but just wondered whether it was a common thing with rimadyl (plus we meant to mention it when we took Ed last Friday but forgot :rolleyes: )

Don't wait till friday, she could have a kidney infection or cystitis. Or it could be a side effect that needs vet advice urgently. :GroupHug:

I'm not a fan of Rimadyl - this drug was originally made for human use but withdrawn after trials exposed too many side effects. I'll use it on the greyhounds short term (I tend to use it like humans would use Ibuprofen) but it's not something I'd want to use long term - if I HAD to go down the long term medication route I'd prefer to use Metacam (although my experience is only with sighthounds).

2 x 50mg seems like a massive dose to me - I split 1 50mg tablet into 2 doses for the greys usually.

Anyway, I'm waffling and probably spooking you unneccessarily. My main reason for posting was to point you at this link, where Pfizer, the manufacturers of Rimadyl, say:

What are the possible side effects that may occur in my dog during Rimadyl therapy?

Rimadyl, like other drugs, may cause some side effects. Serious but rare side effects have been reported in dogs taking NSAIDs, including Rimadyl. Serious side effects can occur with or without warning, and in rare situations result in death.

The most common NSAID-related side effects generally involve the stomach (such as bleeding ulcers), and liver or kidney problems. Look for the following side effects that can indicate your dog may be having a problem with Rimadyl or may have another medical problem:

Decrease or increase in appetite

Vomiting

Change in bowel movements (such as diarrhea, or black, tarry or bloody stools)

Change in behavior (such as decreased or increased activity level, incoordination, seizure or aggression)

Yellowing of gums, skin, or whites of the eyes (jaundice)

Change in drinking habits (frequency, amount consumed)

Change in urination habits (frequency, color, or smell)

Change in skin (redness, scabs, or scratching)

It is important to stop therapy and contact your veterinarian immediately if you think your dog has a medical problem or side effect from Rimadyl therapy. If you have additional questions about possible side effects, talk to your veterinarian.

Rimadyl shouldn't be used long term without regular tests on liver function & preferably with a test prior to use to determine suitability for the individual dog but many vets won't do this. My father's dog died from liver failure after being on Rimadyl for over a year for arthritis - his vet refused to test her despite my father requesting him to do so. When he took her to a different vet he spotted immediately that she had liver problems, unfortunately it was too late :( .

I'd err on the side of caution as others have suggested & wouldn't use it on my dogs long term. I hope she's ok :flowers:

I won't give it to my dogs unless they have had a blood test to check their liver and kidneys, if they are ok, they they can have a short course of Remadyl. It was thanks to this I discovered one of my dogs now at the Bridge had kidney failure and if she had been give Rimadyl, she would have gone very quickly.

Juat rang them and spoke to the practice manager - I've got to ring back after 2.30 and speak to a vet as there was noone there at the time to speak to :rolleyes:

After showing dad this thread, he's said that we're not going to give her any more tablets.

We do actually have a small bottle of metacam from when Ed had his dewclaw removed - suppose I could start her on that tomorrow morning if the vet says it's ok :unsure:

The vet reckons that the only side effect of rimadyl is the squits and didn't know of anything related to her excess weeing. Have got to get a urine sample off her and drop it in this afternoon.

Hmmmmmmm, how to manage this without getting a warm wet hand/missing it....

The vet reckons that the only side effect of rimadyl is the squits

Has the vet actually read the leaflet that comes with the drugs? Clearly there are other side effects, it baffles me that "ordinary" owners know about this and yet some vets don't. Surely they shouldn't prescribe things without knowing what *might* happen. I know many animals take this seemingly without problems, but that's really not the point.

As to catching a urine sample, I've seen a frying pan recommended - held underneath while they're weeing - but you may want to use a pan you're not going to want to cook with again!

There's a lot of horror stories about Rimadyl, but you'll find that most are down to guidelines not being followed. Rimdayl is a fantastic drug when used properly, even long term (with regular checks). I've had two very oldies have an extra 18 months of pain free and happy life due to long term Rimadyl use. I'm surprised that people have this misguided idea that Metacam is safer as one of the possible side effects listed by the people that make it on the actual packaging is "death" (not sure if the UK bottles have that listed on them but they do in the US). Both are very safe drugs when administered properly to the right candidates. Both should always be taken with or after food to avoid side effects.

I actually read somewhere that Rimadyl wasn't taken off the human market for safety reasons - it was moved over to the veterinary market because that's where the real money is for the manufacturer. :)

Edited by KathyM