UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Basil - 3yo Black Working Cocker

Fifer

crossposted

This handsome young man is Basil. He is a 3 year old working cocker spaniel and is being rehomed via the Spaniel Trust. He came to us via his 4th owner after avoiding the vets needle at the 11th hour. He bit his previous owner on the hand who then required hospital treatment. Upon further investigation it was discovered that Basil resource guards and this was handled incorrectly leading him to escalate his body language signals. We know he has had at least 1 abusive home and has been passed around several unsuitable homes.

post-2858-1230395171_thumb.jpg

post-2858-1230395186_thumb.jpg

post-2858-1230395206_thumb.jpg

He has been here for 3 weeks now and is an absolute gem of a dog. Like many dogs he does like to hold things in his mouth and not let go but with sympathetic training he is learning to drop on command and does not show ANY aggressive behaviours. He does grumble sometimes if he doesnt want to move out the way but with positive training methods and simple non-confrontational management its not an issue at all. In fact he is a very good boy who behaves better than my own dogs! He loves tennis balls to be thrown for him (and will exchange them for another one now), loves to swim, gets on fine with the 100+ dogs he's met so far. Great wth kids, males, females, cats etc thats he's met outside the house. Hasnt been fussed by sheep or horses either. His recall is fab, he doesnt go far and comes back for a treat. Walks well on the lead after the first few minutes, doesnt chew, is fully housetrained, fine to be left for a few hours and is a very cuddly daft boy! He knows sit, down, paw, go away and is learning stay, wait, lie down, drop.

Basil needs a home with cocker experienced owners (older children only) who can give him at least an hours exercise offlead a day, play tug with him and throw balls. Retired or part-time workers with or wthout other dogs. Basil has been an only dog until now so has forgotten how to play but is perfectly sociable and in time would probably learn to join in with dog play.

He really is a great dog with loads to give and his single biting incident was due to the misfortune of being in the wrong homes and being treated in the wrong manner. Basil is a star and as I've said to plenty others if I didnt already have 4 dogs he'd be staying here forever. He's my special wee man who really deserves his forever home now where he can unpack his baggage and relax.

He is neutered, vaccinated, chipped and wormed. Currently on a diet to shift about 3kgs of excess weight but has been given a clean bill of health by the vet. Any potential new families will be required to pass a homecheck and give a donation to the Spaniel Trust. All enquiries should go to [email protected] or ring 01688 400 337.