UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Any Tips For Dogs With Weak Back Legs?

cycas

My mother's collie x Ronnie has just started to have problems with his back legs: he did a 'roly poly' on Christmas Eve when out walking, and couldn't get up without help, then a couple more times since, his back legs have 'gone' and he's needed help to stand up again. Otherwise he seems healthy, though perhaps a bit old for his age (I suppose it's possible that he is older than we think, she's had him for about 10 years, but he came from the Dogs Trust so I suppose they could have been given the wrong info when he was handed in).

Obviously he will be off to the vet, but I wondered if anyone had any ideas or tips for managing this? He is small for a collie x, I think about 15 kilos, he's mixed with some sort of small terrier, probably, but there is no way my mother, who is in her 70's, will be able to carry him. She lives on the edge of Dartmoor and they walk on the moor at least two or three times every day. Usually near the edges so there is usually someone about if she needed to call for help, which is something.

He's already getting glucosamine supplements.

Has she thought about trying a magnetic collar? They seem to have a pretty good success rate. Also wonder if hydrotherapy would help?

In a practical sense, could she carry something with her that she could use as a "sling" for the back end - as he's quite little it wouldn't have to be too heavy a material, I wonder if something like a TTouch bandgage even would work in that situation, just to support him underneath and help him up/walk back home/to the car? Or get him one of those harnesses with a handle on the top?

What about trying a Ruffwear Harness as a way to help him up if he goes down, or to give him a bit of extra support if needed?

As you know, I had a similar situation with Musky - he was too big and unwieldy for me to support him with a single handle, but on a smaller, slighter dog I think it would have worked well.

There is also this sort of simple support lead for the back legs http://www.bottomsupleash.com/

which might be worth a try.

What sort of glucosamine is he on? If he is on the tablets it's worth switching him to Synflex, which is liquid glucosamine which works much better in my experience :flowers:

Would also suggest the Ruffwear type harness, though you can get the cheaper Eurohike version from Milletts I think (alternatively look on eBay for them). For a small collie she would need a small one as the medium would be too big. I also found these, the Hang On Harness :flowers:

Good idea about the harness, I will suggest it. He does have a harness, as he pulls and the collar tends to make him cough, so it should be a fairly easy transition to one with a handle on. I'm not sure about the glucosamine: I recommended Synflex, but I'm not sure she agreed with me that it would be better than whatever she gets from the vet. (Mothers! :rolleyes: )

Thinking about it, I wonder if she is letting him overexercise...? He's always been a very nervy dog with endless energy and she walks him offlead - I looked at that bottoms up lead, and he's nowhere near that stage yet, most of the time he's trotting along shoving his nose into stuff and roaming all over the place. I wonder if he's overdoing it chasing rabbits and doesn't know when to stop. :worried_anim:

She could very well be over exercising him. Milly has severe HD and I have to be careful not go overdo it with her or else she will limp afterwards. Maybe he could be kept on lead for one or two of the walks and just let off for a run for one of them?

Edited by merledogs

Hydro would be good for him, and if he can manage any, short amounts of hill walking too.

Hah, he probably does about 2 hours of hill walking most days: they always get at least 4 walks a day, usually 2 or 3 across Dartmoor... I think they are probably overdoing it, that's why his back legs are giving way, he's worn out. I have suggested shorter walks.

• 1 month later...

According to Traditional Chinese Medicine and quoted in the book "Manual Of natural Veterinary Medicine" weak hind limbs derive from problems with the Gall Bladder. It is said that the Gall Bladder provides an external axis for movement and blockages (of Acupucture Points) squeezes off the flow of energy that passes beneath them to the legs.

Two appraoches are required - an examination of the diet being fed and I suggest a trip to a qualified veterinary acupuncturist http://www.abva.co.uk/find.asp

There are many causes of weak back legs, Gracie was because she had walking problems with all the things wrong with her, Tommy had weak back legs because she had kidney failure, arthritis can also cause this. Only a vet can diagnose what is wrong not us, even highly qualified homeopaths should not be diagnosing problems, owners can take their dogs to them once they know the problem.

even highly qualified homeopaths should not be diagnosing problems, owners can take their dogs to them once they know the problem.

I did say " a qualified veterinary acupuncturist" - The reason for this is 2 fold - firstly as an Acupucturist he would understand the issue associated with the Gall Bladder. Secondly, an Acupunturist or Homeopath should not be treating dogs unless qualified as a vet.