UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Painkiller Recommendation For Gsd?

tinneke

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone might be able to help with suggestions for something that might ease poor Connor's severely arthritic shoulder? He was x-rayed this year and according to the vet diet supplements and painkillers are the only way to go.

He's 11, very big-boned, and has a sensitive stomach. I've tried the usual joint supplements, and Rhus Tox (which worked wonders on previous dogs with joint trouble) but they don't seem to make any difference. He's been on Flexicam for about 18 months, and that definitely helps his shoulder but it's affecting his stomach - so much so that now whenever his stomach gets empty he vomits yellow froth. Am having to split his food into five portions to give him regularly throughout the day to prevent this but it's getting worse and I'd like to discontinue the Flexicam if poss.

Am hoping that someone might know of a painkiller that doesn't affect the stomach.

I've tried a gentle heat pad on his joint but he's a dog who prefers cold to heat - he always seeks out cool spots, even in winter - so he didn't like it much.

Diet: at the moment he's on James Wellbeloved lamb & rice, with a little oily fish/sardine 2-3 times a week. Fresh or tinned meat has always given him the runs, so fresh food has to be given in very small quantities. Bread/wheat/pasta also gives him the runs.

All advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Lynda

• Like 1

Poor Connor, that sounds painful :GroupHug:

There are other similar supplements that might be worth a go. Lily struggled with the liquid ones (upset her stomach) but does OK taking tablet or capsule forms. She's currently taking Seraquin. Lily has a damaged gut and can't take any of the the usual nsaid medications but has been taking codeine for the last couple of years - it slows the gut down if anything but does make some dogs a bit "silly" so it won't suit all!

Apart from that the biggest thing to help Lily is hydrotherapy, we are lucky to have a big pool (rather than the tank with harness sort) not too far away and the combination of swimming and massage in the lovely warm water does wonders for her elbows and shoulders.

It would be worth trying a Bioflow collar, it might not be the whole answer if his arthritis is very bad but it may help.

I'd also suggest trying a veterinary form of glucosamine in tablet or capsule form, rather than a liquid. Synoquin or Seraquin may be easier on the stomach than Flexicam. Green lipped mussel is also good, though I don't know what the effects would be on a dog with stomach problems. A supplier like Dorwest Herbs may be able to give advice on natural supplements that will help and be gentle on the stomach.

Flexicam is basically metacam or Meloxicam by a slightly different name. One thing you could look into is the good old fashioned PLT - I know that is has the tiniest amount of prednisolone in it (ie steroids) but it doesn't seem to affect the stomach as badly as the new NSAID's. the LT bit (leucotropin) is a pain killer and it does seem to work very well. It is also in tablet form so you can reduce the dosage down to the smallest amount necessary.

Another one to look into is Tramadol - not all vets know about it but mine does and we will look at this if Barty ever needs more than the occasional PLT to manage his condition. Here is some more information

http://vettechs.blogspot.com/2005/04/tramadol.html

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_tramadol.html

For a completely safe alternative you could also look at Devil's Claw which is a very effective herbal pain killer

HTH~

Anne

Thank you all so much for your help. I've had a look at Seraquin & Synoquin on the internet this afternoon and they both look hopeful - no harm in trying them anyway...

As for medication, the tips on Codiene, PLT and Tramadol are very useful. I'm going to ring my vet first thing on Monday and discuss these alternatives with her. The funny thing is that I have mentioned Connor's tummy problems on Flexicam to her a few times, but she just told me that the Flexicam was best for him. He has no other problems or medications so I hope she'll be open to trying something different.

Many thanks too for the other suggestions. I quite fancy the hydrotherapy pool as well, will have a look in the local yellow pages to see if there's one near me. :rolleyes:

Lynda

You could also ask about Zubrin. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...fm?pcatid=10768

It helped my bitch when Metacam was no longer enough. My present vet says he recommends it for older dogs. I have been told it is expensive, though. ( I had insurance so don't know the cost)

Acupuncture was also helpful.

You could try a homeopathic vet. Sometimes they will work with your own vet after one consultation, if there is not one near you.

Hi - sorry to butt into your thread - I was just wondering of anyone with experiance of tramadol knows how long it takes to kick in? My poor boy is in agony, his usual metacam isn't working and he's too ill to go to the vets, so we picked some Tramadol 50mg up. He had one at 4pm and is still the same. If it doesn;t sort him out we are going to call the vet out in the morning and I've a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach tht there is only one option left to us as he is in so much pain....so please, if anyone knows that it takes a while to kick in I'd love to hear it so that I can relax a little...

Really sorry to hear about your boy in pain. Is there any chance you could ring the emergency vet for advice in the meantime? Just to help him through the night?

They could put your mind at rest re the medication too.

Most vets have an out-of-hours number on their answerphone for cases just like this. If I were you I wouldn't wait.

:GroupHug:

Lynda

Really sorry to hear about your boy in pain. Is there any chance you could ring the emergency vet for advice in the meantime? Just to help him through the night?

They could put your mind at rest re the medication too.

Most vets have an out-of-hours number on their answerphone for cases just like this. If I were you I wouldn't wait.

:GroupHug:

Lynda

About to do that - thanks for the kind thoughts

My vet has prescribed Tramadol for Connor to try, but as it's from the opiate family the drug is only for very short term use, she says, as and when needed. Don't want to get the poor dog addicted!

Also got some antacid to soothe his stomach, so we'll see how it goes ...