UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Waking Sudden Onset Aggression

Gog Magog

I *think* its called this - but please correct if not! I believe it's more common in bullies (mini and regular) than other breeds. The dog seems normal but just after being woken up it is very aggressive although not aware of what it is doing. The eyes are glazed and it's unresponsive. The "attacks" last a few mins and then its completely normal.

I've only come across it once before (in a miniture bullie) but a friend has just described a problem with their bassett which sounds exactly the same. They are going to speak to their vet about it but I know its quite a rare condition so wondered if anyone has any experience or advice I can pass on to them?

the bullie girl had to be PTS so I'm hoping that someone can tell me about a happier ending :(

Gosh I never knew this was a recognised thing. Tess has what we've always called Night Terrors. If she is disturbed when she's asleep, especially if she's dreaming she'll lash out. Thankfully it's nothing like as bad as you describe and she has only mouthed me once and chomped the other dogs a couple of times, nothing too serious. It makes me ever so sad when she does it as I'm sure it's a leftover from her horrendous start in life. We just make a point of talking to her before we touch her when she's asleep and she's ok after a few seconds thankfully.

When I was waiting for Merlin I was told not to touch a Greyhound to wake him up or he will probably bite. Since them I have never touched a dog to wake them up apart from Gracie who is going deaf and doesn't hear a noise, I always make a noise first.

I usually put it down to deep sleep, if I am waken suddenly from a deep sleep I am confused, I know that is normal, :laugh: but don't know where I am either until I come to properly.