UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Pc World

Tisaann

We brought my daughter a lap top for her birthday in October. Tonight my daughter took it back as the charger wasn't working only to be told that this wasn't covered under the warrenty and she would have to buy a new charger at the cost of £70. This doesnt sound right to me as without the charger the laptop can't be used. Does anyone have any advice please? x

PC World are without doubt utter t*ssers :angry: I had huge arguments with them when my monitor went one month after I bought my PC from them.Basically they just told me to get lost.My friend's son worked there as a weekend job and he was told at his training that there policy is the customer is always wrong and never to replace anything and be as rude as you like to in the process of saying no.

1) don't under any circumstances pay PC world 70 quid for a charger and reward them for their barefaced cheek. If you do end up having to buy a charger, get it from somewhere else. It will be cheaper anyway: £70 is outrageous.

2) contact the laptop manufacturer and ask them what they are going to do about their not fit for purpose charger.

3) if you bought the laptop on credit card (ALWAYS buy expensive things on credit card if you can) phone the card people and ask if they can offer you advice or help. Given that the machine is only a couple of months old, I think you may be within your rights demanding a complete replacement though I appreciate that's more hassle.

4) if no luck with 2 or 3, call Trading Standards.

Stick to your guns on this one, no way should they be getting away with this.

Thanks guys. Today hubby went back to pc world and they told him that 2 months was no time at all for a problem to occur and gave us a number to ring to arrange for the computer to be collected and the problem fixed. I wonder if they look at the customer and say what they think they can get away with (with regards to my daughter)

Slightly off the main subject - when I was a teenager (in the '70s) and I had a problem with something I had bought, my Dad used to come to town with me and send me into the shop on my own to sort out the problem, (usually with shoes). I would get the complete brush off routine. I would go outside and tell my Dad, he would then go into the shop and quote all the various rules and regulations, get the problem sorted out, and then get the manager to apologise to me!!

I have done the same with my daughter who is 16, and she sorts out the problems her friends encounter :) (she is shy, but can stick up for herself and friends)

Dont touch pc world with a barge pole they are a bunch of con artists...

Last year bought two lappies the same, within 3 weeks both chargers went.... same problem, we got new charges after a lot of footstamping, two weeks on backlight went on one and lo and behold back light went in the other, they went back to pc world back and too back and too back and too... eventually after a massive argument where the manager called me a little s***....to which i replied i dont talk to dirt i walk on it :unsure: i got my money back on one of them, sadly maddoch the pup went and disintegrated the other when i got home and knocked it and smashed it to smitherines...

BY THE WAY GO TO YOUR COMPUTER SHOP YOU CAN GET THEM FOR AROUND 30 UNIVERSAL ONES...no need to spend a bomb on their own make which is totally crap anyway

I now have a dell which cost me 1800 quid but top cover engineers come out to me and fix within 24 hours.... which reminds me to ring em in morning, their customer service is brilliant

Basically, the item they sold you is not fit for purpose and they should replace or repair it.

Also, don't let them fob you off - your contract is with PC World NOT the manufacturer.

Just copied this from a previous thread I replied on but it's equally applicable here :

Go back to the shop you bought it from and tell them it is not fit for purpose under the Sales of Goods Act 1979 (as amended).

Under the act, any item they sell has to be fit for the purpose for which it was sold, and if you were told it would be a new phone, then it should be as described and of satisfactory quality. For electrical goods they have to be fit for purpose in England and Wales for a period of up to 6 years.

Link to advice re Sale of Goods Act :flowers: Print this off and take it into the shop with you so they know that you are well informed.

If they still won't budge, stand your ground and argue with them. Cause a scene in the shop as it may put other shoppers off, especially if it is packed with Christmas shoppers :wink:

We had a terrible time with PC World, and we even took out insurance to cover any mishaps. The whole of the summer holidays and even when she had returned to school, my daughter had no working computer. We purchased 2 identical Dell laptops, apart from the colour of the top of them. She dropped hers and the engineer came out to fix it, and the service was great, he even fixed my son's (bought from Ebay) laptop that he dropped before, and after undoing a couple of screws and pushing something back that needed realigning, fastened it back together and bingo, fixed.

I gave him a couple of veggie chews for his new puppy, and was very grateful. A couple of weeks later, she did it again, dropped it, and landed on the charger, which caused much more damage. We were told to ring this number and that, we were told that the laptop was registered to my eldest son (who is in Japan), and we spent a fortune on telephone calls mostly 087 numbers. We were nearly crying with frustration.

In the end they said they would send a man to collect it, and send it away for repair, but that didn't happen until we got fed up, and kept badgering the same person at our local store, and eventually took it back there yet again. Eventually a man came to collect it, he came three times at lease, telling us he charges them about £18.00 every time he comes, whether he takes it or not. We told him each time that we had returned it to the shop, and he knew that was the position every time he came, but hey, he was still getting the money.

Eventually they agreed to replace, it but not with the same model, as computers move on every few weeks these days, and they could let us have one if we agreed to pay about £100 more, as it had 1 gig more RAM, (a bit faster). What turned into a supposed 5 day repair went on for weeks and weeks. In the end they did let us have a more expensive computer valued nearer £700 in place of the £400 one. We refused to pay out on any more insurance.

The other Dell went wrong for my son whilst he was and still is, in San Francisco, which is not good as he uses his all the time for developing his computer business.

Perhaps we were just unlucky, with Dell as a brand and their service.

I was in PC World once.

The guy in front of me was returning a stereo as the radio kept cutting out.

He wanted a refund.

The cashier was trying all sorts of bullshit that it had to go to an engineer to determine if there was a fault, and if it can be fixed, before she can allow a replacement.

But that wasnt going to be that day, as the engineer wasnt due until next Wednesday, and then it would take a week!

Understandably, the customer was irate.

He didnt want to wait that long. He didnt want a replacement from PC world. He wanted his money back so he could go elsewhere.

She wasnt budging with her BS...it had to be checked by an engineer, bla bla bla.

This went on a while and i was sick of waiting.

I cut in and very loudly said, "Ive got an idea. He says the radio just cuts out. Have you got a plug back there"?

"Yes", she replied.

"Then you dont need an engineer, just plug it in now and see if the radio works"!

LOL. Her face dropped big time. I had put her right on the spot in front of the whole queue - she had to do it!

PC World and Halfords - idiots!

Edited by krusewalker