UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Could I Please Have Good Thoughts For Susie *another Update: Rushed Back To Vets*

doggy.lover

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Susie has had a very restless night hence I have had a very restless night as I was staying downstairs to keep an eye on her.

She had a couple of biscuits through the night and has just eaten her normal breakfast :yay: but she is still crying a lot, not sure if in pain because she is getting painkillers or if she's just moaning because she's feeling sorry for herself, the wound is huuuuge compared to what I expected and goes right down her right butt cheek and almost halfway down her leg

It does look a lot more securely stitched than before which is good and isn't oozing as much

She is milking the experience for all it's worth with waitress biscuit service to her sofa :rolleyes:

Can anybody tell me why the vet recommended I shouldn't clean the wound but let it just scab over ?

She is probably feeling generally sorry for herself but anaesthetic can make them whingey. She will be sore when she moves so if she moans then that's for real. It sounds like it was a large lump if they've gone down her leg as well. If they think there is a possibility or know that it's cancer they will remove an area around the lump to get rid of all of the cells surrounding if they can. Sorry I've just got out of bed so I'm not with it yet. Normally you would bathe the wound with salt water to stop any infection so I don't know why they've told you not to. Maybe he's scared that with her skin being thin he wants to keep it dry? :GroupHug:

Wet wounds mean a higher risk of infection.Salt water doesn't really clean wounds anyway.In humans good practice is to leave wounds dry whenever possible.Creams are a definite no no.

Drying wounds always means there's a chance of the residue of the drying material being left in the suture line too which also leads to a higher infection risk.

I'm sure what I know that relates to hoomans is probably true of animal medicine too so hope that helps :flowers: