UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cataracts

supersaluki

Saffie (of unknown age but about 10-12) has cataracts - I dont suppose this should be a total surprise

I know how cataracts affect humans and the vet has said it is the same for dogs

I am sure many of you have been through this with a dog - what measures did you take to help them

has anyone put their dog through surgery and if so was it worth it

Every night Saffie gets up from bed (as soon as the light is put out) and manages to get down stairs to lick out the cat bowl (empty by the time she gets to it)

but can find going back up the stairs difficult and she sometimes needs one of her humans to put the light on for her

so any tips you can pass on will be gratefully received

• 3 weeks later...
Saffie (of unknown age but about 10-12) has cataracts - I dont suppose this should be a total surprise

I know how cataracts affect humans and the vet has said it is the same for dogs

I am sure many of you have been through this with a dog - what measures did you take to help them

has anyone put their dog through surgery and if so was it worth it

Every night Saffie gets up from bed (as soon as the light is put out) and manages to get down stairs to lick out the cat bowl (empty by the time she gets to it)

but can find going back up the stairs difficult and she sometimes needs one of her humans to put the light on for her

so any tips you can pass on will be gratefully received

My yorkie developed a cataract in her good eye (other one blinded in an accident) at the age of 7. She had surgery and it was very successful although with a prognosis of developing in later years. She was 12 when her sight failed again and was totally blind for the remaining 3 years of her life and remained lively and active to the end. The 5 years of sight the surgery gave her was so well worth it and that was 13 years ago so I'm sure techniques are even more advanced now.

Good luck.

Sorry - forgot to add that she lived with 6 other dogs and my home remained fairly constant in terms of where furniture was placed etc. The only thing she no longer did was to get onto my bay windowsill when I pulled into the drive, that was the only thing that defeated her and she could even negotiate her way to the car and get in the passenger seat when I took her out.

Most dogs adjust quite well. Could you put one of those portable battery operated lights halfway up the stairs?