UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Laptop Help - Purchasing First One

mooandboo

I'm buying Ceri a laptop for Christmas but it'll also be a backup machine for me in case my PC cops it (shhh don't tell him :ninja: :laugh: )

I've seen this one which has the kind of spec I'd like but have fried my brain researching about best brands - people love and hate all of them, have had good and bad experiences with all of them so I'm a bit :wacko: I haven't a clue if HP should be avoided - or not :wacko:

(I've veered away from Dell's Inspiron range and some others because the graphics card doesn't seem to be too good :unsure: )

Could you give me your opinions and if it's crap recommend similar for a similar price ( no higher) if you don't mind :flowers:

I came in this thread to recommend a pink one but that is no good if it is for Ceri :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mine is a Dell and it is great :) but I only use it to surf the net, I can't do anything clever :rolleyes:

His favourite colour was pink when he was small & he even wanted some pink Barbie slippers (he was 2 :wub: ) which I would've bought but OH walked out of the shop :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:

I would probably go with Dell if the graphics card was better.

Does anyone have any experience of Acer laptops?

Aisling and I had Acers and they were very good value for money compared to the brands

downsides where they were heavy and also I found some plug in ( USB ) items never worked with them and the odd CD/DVD plus they over heated a bit and we had to get a fan base to sit them on

that was about 4 years ago so the above may well have changed as the newer models I have seen in shops look a lot differant

I use an macbook air now a days as I cannot abide Vista but my last PC laptop was Toshiba and it was very good ( sadly it came with Vista which I think ruined a really nice machine )

Aren't Acer PC World's own brand? Or am I confused? I've only ever had Dells, Toshibas and presently have a Compaq Presario which is about a year old now but don't do much that involved graphics cards so couldn't tell you if it would be any good for you. Bluddy useless aren't I! :laugh:

I bought an Acer in 2005, the casing broke aroung the hinges. We bought Lauren one for her birthday this year and the build quality has improved a lot (Aspire 5715 from Amazon)

Aren't Acer PC World's own brand? Or am I confused?

No that is Advent.

Thanks Sam :flowers: I'm not worried about it being heavy as it won't be going very far.

Thanks Angel :flowers: the Acer I looked at ( this onehas consistently good reviews so I may go ahead with one (I've spent three days solid looking and look like a bag lady cos I haven't even bothered to brush my hair :laugh: )

Nettie, yes you are but thanks anyway :laugh: :flowers:

I've got an Acer 5315 and I love it, although I don't use it for anything clever just for surfing the Net. I think it would do lots of things other than that if I tried :laugh:

I rarely use to desktop PC now it's so much easier to sit in the chair, in front of the tele, with the laptop on my lap :)