UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Chicken Thread.

phoebejo

I'd look about before you decide on an Eglu, they are probably loved and hated in equal measure, they are supposed to be Red Mite free but all that happens is the RM stay on the hens 24/7 rather than hiding in nooks and cranny's during the day and feasting on the hens at night, the run that comes with them is also probably way to small, even for 3 hens, the ground will very quickly turn into a big manky mud hole, but, they are an easy starting point and look quite funky, but for the same price you could get a well made wooden house that will hold more than 3, and believe me, 3 won't be enough once you've been bitten by the chook bug.Have a look on the Practical Poultry web site, you don't need to join to view it, and there's tons of unbiased opinion, you might want to buy a book or two as well, I can't recommend Practical Poultry's own book enough, it answered all the questions I had and others I hadn't even thought off.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phew! One can be called Sookie then at least :laugh:

Sorry the boys are taking over ... but thinking of all of that roast chicken has also made me jealous (and my mouth water!) :rolleyes: there is just no pleasing some people!! :flowers:

Have been on the Omlet forums (oddly enough I am on there as sparkle too!) and got some good tips, am thinking 3 chooks and one Eglu, but can't decide on the size ... won't be doing it until the summer as think that would be best all round

How well do chooks travel?? The next posting may be a big journey ...

Have you seen how big a bantam Poland is? :laugh: Sadly the boys get wasted, there's nothing I can do with them.

I'm Griffin on the Omlet forum :biggrin: I've met quite a few of the members, they've been lovely. I must be in the minority over there though because I don't have an eglu or cube :laugh:

As for how well they travel, mine are all fine with travelling. Olive loves nothing better than a trip to the vets but that's because she's tiny and gets to sit on a lap and look out the window :wub: Most chickens are fine once in a cardboard box, they'll go to sleep.

I'd look about before you decide on an Eglu, they are probably loved and hated in equal measure, they are supposed to be Red Mite free but all that happens is the RM stay on the hens 24/7 rather than hiding in nooks and cranny's during the day and feasting on the hens at night, the run that comes with them is also probably way to small, even for 3 hens, the ground will very quickly turn into a big manky mud hole, but, they are an easy starting point and look quite funky, but for the same price you could get a well made wooden house that will hold more than 3, and believe me, 3 won't be enough once you've been bitten by the chook bug.Have a look on the Practical Poultry web site, you don't need to join to view it, and there's tons of unbiased opinion, you might want to buy a book or two as well, I can't recommend Practical Poultry's own book enough, it answered all the questions I had and others I hadn't even thought off.

Will do, have looked at a site which did wooden ones too, price wise they were about the same I just wasn't sure which was more practical for a smallish edge of big village garden ... we back onto a copse so foxes will undoubtedly be an issue ...

Have you seen how big a bantam Poland is? :laugh: Sadly the boys get wasted, there's nothing I can do with them.

I'm Griffin on the Omlet forum :biggrin: I've met quite a few of the members, they've been lovely. I must be in the minority over there though because I don't have an eglu or cube :laugh:

As for how well they travel, mine are all fine with travelling. Olive loves nothing better than a trip to the vets but that's because she's tiny and gets to sit on a lap and look out the window :wub: Most chickens are fine once in a cardboard box, they'll go to sleep.

Chicken soup??! :unsure: :flowers:

Whoop! Will probably say hi on there during the day time, don't spend enough time online during the evening to really concentrate on a post!

Travelling could well be Kent to Germany/Belfast/Newcastle though ... I am worrying that may be too far .. plus if it were Germany I am not sure about the rules and regs re transporting chucks abroad ... I suppose I could persuade my parents to have them if it were too far a posting but again that would be a 6 hour transport :laugh:

Sparkle, how exciting. I bet you can't wait :biggrin:

I was never off the poultry forums (and pestering Phoebejo with questions) before I got my girls.

I have just had the Flyte So Fancy email through and I've won a runner up prize in the competition to win a freestanding shelter. There is a Gardman bird feeding station and feeders on its way to me :biggrin: The hens will be thrilled, they like to stand under the bird feeders and wait for bits to drop down :laugh:

One of the members thats on the site I use has this company pads4pets a few other members have bought the coops and said they are very well made.

These are excellent Wells Poultry made from tanalised timber they will last a long time.

Thanks for those links :biggrin: :flowers:

I did a google search and found this which I think would be about right - or something similar, but not sure how fox proof it would be :unsure:

There is SO much to consider!! The garden needs to be Jack proofed so will hopefully be safe enough to let them have a wonder around in whilst I am there, but may not be ... would that size run with regular exciting bits added to the floor (and clean wood chips put down!) be enough for them?? :unsure:

Sparkle, how exciting. I bet you can't wait :biggrin:

I was never off the poultry forums (and pestering Phoebejo with questions) before I got my girls.

I have just had the Flyte So Fancy email through and I've won a runner up prize in the competition to win a freestanding shelter. There is a Gardman bird feeding station and feeders on its way to me :biggrin: The hens will be thrilled, they like to stand under the bird feeders and wait for bits to drop down :laugh:

I really can't! No idea what chooks I am going to get, but one will be white/blond and called Sookie :laugh:

Congratulations!

• 5 weeks later...

Mimi Maguire, one of my ex-batts, has died :mecry: I knew she was going downhill, she's always been the weakest one of the three, and she's spent the last week or so living in the garage with a heat lamp to keep her warm because she couldn't cope with this weather. She loved to try to roast herself, squishing up as close as she could to the heat :wub: That's where I found her this morning, she'd just fallen asleep under it and not woken up. I've cried buckets this morning at the injustice, I've only had her since the end of May so she spent more time in those cages than she did free here :mecry: I know she was happy here but I so wanted her to have more time :mecry:

I'm so frustrated at the moment, the weather means we can't get on with the preparations for building our run mecry.gif

I've got OH all enthused about getting some ex-bats, and after a LOT of dithering I've decided to go for an Eglu house inside a walk-in run, as I won't be able to free range them much if at all with the dogs that seems like the best compromise to give them a reasonable amount of space and to be able to go in and interact with them.

We have an offer of some ex-bats ready for collection in February, but I'm worried now we won't be ready in time, we have three old sheds to dismantle and clear and a new one to build before we can even start building the run sad.gif

I'll no doubt be back with millions of questions once we finally get our chooks!

So sorry you've lost Mimi, Cheryl.Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif

I've lost 4 hens in as many weeks and I think I've still got 2 more who will die soon, sadly. I think they've got myco and despite dosing them with AB's, there is little improvement. In addition to the 2 who are likely to die, I have at least another 4 or 5 coughing and I've no idea what else to do to save them. They've all been wormed, have Poultry spice added to their rations and I've been making them Ready Brek each morning while the snow's been here.

Although I've got around 40 birds, I still HATE losing themmecry.gif and I loathe watching them go downhill.

As an aside, Forrest is becoming a little devil and if he continues in this vein he'll be going to the local Chicken Farm where I hope they will rehome him to someone who doesn't mind being attacked every day :lol: