UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Chicken Thread.

phoebejo

I'm getting one egg a day, sometimes it's Cackies, sometimes Kelly's, the two little un's haven't started yet and the others are moulting, poor Caroline has a bald arse at the moment, must be quite drafty.

So you quite like True Blood then Cheryl :laugh: ....I much prefered Sam, especially when you find out what he is later in the series :biggrin:

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
:pinkie: I'm going to hatch some more chicks :pinkie: Myself and my chicken owning friend Graham from the stud farm have spoken about forming a chook breeding partnership. He has spent the last few months accumalating a flock of very nice silver laced Wyandottes. He wants to breed from them but hasn't got an incubator or space to rear chicks inside until they're off heat. I have an incubator, space to rear chicks until they're off heat but can't keep a cockerel. So the plan is Graham will provide the eggs, I'll hatch and rear the chicks and they'll go back to his farm when they're off heat to be reared in one of the paddocks. I think we might show some of the birds too. We've toyed with the idea of buying a new incy but I said I'd have another bash with my ancient one. So this weekend I'll be 'testing' it with Cream Legbars, Cuckoo Marans & Light Sussex :biggrin:

I still get to eat the boys that we don't sell too! He thinks that my Lily Pie is a reformed character since moving there and he wants to swap her for one of my Light Sussex pullets next year. I'll be only too happy to have her back again as long as she really is quieter :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

Lots and lots of exciting news :pinkie:

A lot of the eggs I bought were infertile but there are three Cream Legbars and two Marans due at the weekend :biggrin:

I wanted another couple of Pekins so I asked a friend who was going to the poultry auction at Salisbury to buy me some, as long as they were cheap as chips. He phoned me mid-morning to say they were all going for over £20 each so I told him to do his best. This, ladies and gentleman, is his best :laugh:

DSC06341.jpg

DSC06338.jpg

DSC06347.jpg

One of her parents might've been a Pekin but the other was more than likely an Aracauna :laugh: See this is what happens when you send a man out to do the shopping, he was told buy a Pekin, any colour but not black. So now I've got a black mongrel :laugh: She's called Maggie May and she is such a little darling, been no trouble at all :wub:

And there is a chance that at the weekend I might become the very proud owner of these two lovely ladies, both gold birchen Modern Game pullets :wub:

IMG_3399.jpg

IMG_3738.jpg

Just waiting to hear back from their daddy but it looks as if my friend Graham (not the one who can't stick to a shopping list) might pick them up on Saturday at the National show and I'll collect them from him on Sunday. I've wanted one of these for ages and once I saw the photos of these two I had to have them!

OH MY GIDDY AUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am the luckiest woman alive! Mr Hazell is home, I opened the box and there were 3 in there! He's only gone and bought me the Silver Birchen pullet too because they both agreed she shouldn't be left on her own!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'VE GOT THREE BEAUTIFUL MODERN GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I burst into tears :rolleyes: I've had lots of cuddles with my new girls and I've reluctantly put them to bed outside. Of course I'll have to check on them several times before I go to bed just to admire them again :pinkie: They are so beautiful, more beautiful than I could ever imagine. I spend far too much time outside with my chooks as it is and I can't imagine I'll spend any time at all in the house tomorrow :laugh:

Daisy has named them Stacey, Nessa and Gwen in honour of the return of Gavin & Stacey tonight :biggrin: Emily doesn't understand why we'll not call one Gavin though :laugh:

A day of mixed emotions.

Some of the boys are about 26 weeks old now. The Dorking boys were turning into bullies but they hadn't crowed yet. As I'm off work all weekend I decided that this morning I'd despatch them both and pluck them. Did all that, no problems at all. Then I had to despatch our white crested black Poland who turned out to be a boy. He's been crowing for a few days, that in itself was fine because the Polands are in the garage for the winter keeping warm and dry so he wasn't a nuisance to the neighbours but he kept beating up his siblings so he had to go. He was a very funny little boy, we'll miss his cheeky nature.

But we also have good news too. Our first Cream Legbar hatched in the night and it's a girl :wub: Day 21 isn't until tomorrow but hopefully she'll not have to wait too long for company to arrive :wub:

3 !...jammy Cheryl, very jammy.

I must admit it's been such horrible manky weather here I've been doing the bare minimum with my hen's keeping them fed, watered and clean is about as much attention as they've had, I do feel a bit guilty, but I doubt they've been arsed in the slightest. I did pick them all up to squirt some Frontline on them, I think Kelly need's to go on a diet.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh not to worry, Sookie Stackhouse turned into a boy so I culled him :rolleyes: One of the silver laced Polands joined him. My bantam Brahma who we were going to call Arlene is also a boy :rolleyes: So I'm left with one definite girl silver laced Poland and I'm sure the remaining Poland is another boy :rolleyes: Just my luck, 4/5 boys :laugh:

Phew! One can be called Sookie then at least :laugh:

Sorry the boys are taking over ... but thinking of all of that roast chicken has also made me jealous (and my mouth water!) :rolleyes: there is just no pleasing some people!! :flowers:

Have been on the Omlet forums (oddly enough I am on there as sparkle too!) and got some good tips, am thinking 3 chooks and one Eglu, but can't decide on the size ... won't be doing it until the summer as think that would be best all round

How well do chooks travel?? The next posting may be a big journey ...