UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Full Time Job

taylor

Iv just changed hours at work and now work 11 hours for 4 days then 4 off .................. the dogs will be alone for 11... I have a lovely dog walker for halfway through the 11 hours. and agonised over this decision but have decided that day wise they get me more. rather than leaving them for 6/3off Im leaving them for 4longer/4 off

what do you think ?

I think your dogs will be fine :wink:

I work 12 hour shifts, 3 days on, 6 off, 3 nights, 5 off etc and have a neighbour come in and walk them lunchtimes and put them to bed late in the evening. The dogs get me for whole days on my days off rather than just weekends and I make sure they get walked before work and they have all been fine.

I've been doing this job over 4 years now and a while back did panic and think the dogs would be stressed so setup a webcam that I could watch from work. I watched the dogs sleeping on the sofa :laugh:

To be honest, I don't think they worry about specific times, more the routine of food/walk/sleep etc so I'm sure you've nothing to worry about. They've got company of each other and if they are already used to being left, they probably won't notice much difference :flowers:

I'm away for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. Not as long as you, but still my guys get to spend a good chunk of the week at home on their own. I've got a neighbour coming in at lunch time to give them a short walk. When I get home Kiera kind of saunters into the kitchen, stretching and yawning, and most days Mal doesn't even make it off his sofa to come and say hello! :rolleyes: I'd love to have your schedule and have more whole days with my guys but I don't think it's gonna happen.

I think it's ok for adult dogs, with the lunchtime break, but how old is your puppy now?

Angie, the puppy went back to his breeder. I was being selfish getting such a babe and my own little dog was petrified of him, he stayed here only one night but apparantly has a lovely home now

sally x

I think mature dogs are very adaptable and can cope with most work schedules. I think most people worry about leaving their dogs for too long at a time but they are safe and secure in their own homes with loving owners who make provisions for their daily welfare. What more could they want?Think of all the rescue/pound dogs that spend most of their time in kennels with no loving owner coming home at the end of the day. I think your dogs will be fine.x :GroupHug:

i work full time and my lot seem to be fine, had yesterday off and while i

watched some tv they all slept :laugh: :laugh:

they are used to my routine and am sure yours will get used to your new one too

but i do thinks its better and easier to leave 2 or more dogs on their own for longer

periods, but it's not so fair on a single dog, thats why I got Archie, for Cliffy as

company when i was working, and now i have 3 (not sure how that happened) :laugh: :laugh:

My new job has meant a big change for my two.I used to come home at lunchtime for a 20 minute walk but after being made redundant found it almost impossible to find another job close by that enabled me to do the same.I did find a job for less hours working shifts of either 7.30am to 2pm or 2pm to 8.30pm.That means mine are left for just under 7 hours.I agonised over this as I can't afford a dog walker but it's worked just fine.They have an hour before work on the 7.30am shift then a couple of hours after and a shorter walk before bed,when I start at 2pm they have an early walk then another 2 hours in the park before I go in and about 45 minutes afterwards.They love it.It is a fairly long time to leave them but they've adapted very quickly - and the 6.00am walks aren't really all that bad :rolleyes: