UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Fireworks Time Approaching - What Do You Use To Help Your Dogs?

ReikiAnge

I thought as it's approaching fireworks time (and they've probably already started in some areas? :() it would be good to have another thread so people can provide info on what has helped their dogs and other animals during what is for many pets, a rather frightening time.

Sno is the one here who hates the things. M-M hasn't encountered them yet but hopefully she will ignore them like Max and Cass.

We've tried all sorts of things with Sno and a combination seems to work well. I use homeopathic remedies, he has a crate which is covered, we shut all the windows and as many internal doors as possible, turn up the TV and music, I've used Reiki and TTouch, T-shirt/TTouch wraps, Rescue Remedy, food, crazy dancing around the living room :laugh: and I find having a little drink myself helps stop me worrying about him so much, hopefully helping him too.

I've also put lavender oil in an oil burner as that's relaxing. I take him out and get him fed before it gets dark and then try to avoid him having to go to the loo until they've stopped/mostly stopped. Fortunately he has a strong bladder!

I've also started him on Scullcap and Valerian tablets to see if they help.

I should get 10/10 for effort anyway :biggrin:

Spike was really scared for years so we tried Dap diffuser, rescue remedy and skullcap and valerian tablets. Although these helped, he still suffered, and he couldn't be left downstairs when any bangs were heard. (thunder included).

Don't know what happened last year though, for some reason he is not bothered at all. :unsure: (He doesn't seem to be suffering from deafness). Fingers crossed this will continue this year, it's made such a difference to him. (and us). Cherry has never been bothered by fireworks and yet she's normally a nervous dog ! :rolleyes:

Holly is scared as well. She hides under a coffee table covered with a dark blanket, we use DAP diffuser and DAP spray under the table, she has aTTouch T-shirt and wrap, rescue remedy and I have learned TTouch methods to use on her. The vet gave me some pills that make her forget to be scared that I use as a last reort.

Barbara

Timmy, Max and Milly are all terrified of fireworks. In fact if Milly even hears them on the telly, or something which sounds vaguely like them, she is scared :(

I haven't really found anything that helps though :(

What have you tried Alex? I know how awful it is with one dog so it must be even worse with three :(

Cher, Max and Cass are absolutely fine with them, I remember standing outside watching fireworks with them before we adopted Sno. With all the things I have put in place, we manage ok. There's no way we can go out and leave him with fireworks going off though - which means we always have to be home by about 11.30 on NYE now :wub: Still, I'm getting too old for that shouting in pubs/kissing strangers business anyway :laugh:

I think Sno's recovery time to scary things has definitely improved over the years. I can remember last year, he was really freaked out by something, but then the tuna cake appeared from the fridge and the other dogs were getting a bit and he came out to have some too. I forsee a fat Sno this November :laugh:

We're very fortunate here I guess in that people don't tend to let them off *too* much away from the few days around 5 Nov. If we lived somewhere where they had already started, I really think Sno would be a completely nervous wreck.

Dylan is absolutely petrified of them, as soon as he hears one he is alerted and waiting for any more. You name it we've tried it and nothing works, so we just go away for 10 days into the middle of nowhere. Scampi never bothered until he picked up on Dyl's fears, now he shakes and trembles. One night we could cope with but for over a week it's virtually impossible.

Jack dog is terrified and nothing helps but to let him go under the bed where he stays until he is ready to come out. I do shut all the curtains and windows and turn the TV's up loud for Jumble's sake as he is nervous but not freaked out. Cecil doesn't care in the least.

Now Asda are selling the damn things for Halloween! :angry:

My dogs aren't particularly bothered about fireworks but I've had dogs in the past that are, so have carried on with the things I used to do during the firework season. I completely ignore any frightened behaviour, make sure I keep calm myself (as the constant banging really p*sses me off after a bit), put the TV on loud and make sure all curtains are shut. I up the carbs in their food and make sure they have something to chew on like a marrow bone and if I've got a DAP plug around, will plug that in. Tiring them out during the day can also help.

If people turn their TVs up, it might be worth starting to do that now. I noticed with my Lot that they started to realise when the sound went up on the TV, the fireworks would also soon be coming and they started to fear the TV as much.

I start to raise the Volume a few weeks before and Have all their crates ready and covered so their routine wont change massively when the fireworks come.

I also walk them in the morning(only) so they hopefully never have to be outside if a early firework goes off.

Edited by Amie