UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dog Behaviour/training Course

BillyMalc

I'm sure there's been a thread about this sometimes ago already, just can't find it :rolleyes:

I'm thinking of doing a dog behaviour/training course, just to gain a bit more knowledge about my favourite subjects of all time! (just don't tell Mal he's just been referred to as a 'subject' or he'll kill me! :ohmy: :laugh:). I'm not aiming to become a dog trainer - yet! - just to gain a bit more knowledge and skills, and I'm thinking that a structured set up like a course will be moreeffective than just reading a book. Has anyone got any reccommendations? I just want it to be home based, something I can do in my lunch breaks at work without having to attend classes, because I don't want to have another commitment that equires me to spend time away from Mal and Kiera.

Thanks for any suggestions! :flowers:

Thanks for your reccommendations! :)

I had a look at the above link, and I must say that, although it sounds good, it doesn't look like they have the kind of course on offer that I am after. I'm pretty okay with the basics of bringing a rescue dog home, and the advanced course looks like it'll be going into more depth than I'm really after at this point. Will keep the link tho, coz you never know! :)

What about this one http://www.thinkdog.org/index.html?

I don't know anything about it, but maybe somebody else does.

Weren't they set up by.....ohhhh, bugger, forgotten his name........he died a few years ago...........nope, it's gone.........anyway, thinkdog seems to be very good, with Sarah Whitehead on board it's bound to be.........thats really annoying me that I can't remember his name........just before he died he famously said that all the, going through doors first and eating before the dog "didn't mean diddly" to the dog........wise man.

Weren't they set up by.....ohhhh, bugger, forgotten his name........he died a few years ago...........nope, it's gone.........anyway, thinkdog seems to be very good, with Sarah Whitehead on board it's bound to be.........thats really annoying me that I can't remember his name........just before he died he famously said that all the, going through doors first and eating before the dog "didn't mean diddly" to the dog........wise man.

do you mean John Fisher? I've got his 'bible' on canine psychology, it's brilliant, and tis such a shame that he's passed on :mecry:

I did mine at REASEHEATH COLLEGE in Nantwich last Autumn. I find I need to get out of the house and do my learning in the classroom, I would never have the self discipline for a correspondence course :rolleyes: Dogs Trust in Merseyside also do some good seminars. Its good to go and see as many experts as you can and its amazing how techniques for changing behaviour can vary :wink:

I wouldn't recommend Compass.

Do a search for my thread in non animal chat. It was called Having a Career blip. Lots of good advice in there.

To be honest the courses will all advise you to read lots of books on various subjects, which if you don't want to further this as a career is all you need do.

I wouldn't recommend Compass.

Do a search for my thread in non animal chat. It was called Having a Career blip. Lots of good advice in there.

To be honest the courses will all advise you to read lots of books on various subjects, which if you don't want to further this as a career is all you need do.

See, I knew there'd already been a thread - thanks Michelle! :flowers: Will go off to have a looksie now :)