UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What Are My Rights

celeste

I'm sure this laptop is jinxed :wacko:

The trials and tribulations of the laptop continue, last night I decided to try out the Blue-Ray player on my Dell laptop, surprise surprise it didn't work, the programm keeps crashing, so I took it into PC World today where they did fix it and get it working, but now it won't work again, what I want to know is, if the Blue-Ray won't work what are my rights, can I get money back ?, after all, I paid more for the B-R function, what was the point if it won't work ?, or do I have to keep trying to get it fixed ? which could end up costing as I live about 20 mls away from PC World. Any consumer right fugees know the answer please ?

I'm sure this laptop is jinxed :wacko:

The trials and tribulations of the laptop continue, last night I decided to try out the Blue-Ray player on my Dell laptop, surprise surprise it didn't work, the programm keeps crashing, so I took it into PC World today where they did fix it and get it working, but now it won't work again, what I want to know is, if the Blue-Ray won't work what are my rights, can I get money back ?, after all, I paid more for the B-R function, what was the point if it won't work ?, or do I have to keep trying to get it fixed ? which could end up costing as I live about 20 mls away from PC World. Any consumer right fugees know the answer please ?

Phone consumer direct and they will help you sort it out including emailing you a template for complaining and a sale of goods act notice

There are a lot of templates on the CD website.

Your laptop has to be fit for purpose - ie everything it was meant to do, it should do. They have the right to repair or replace, but you also have a right to make claim against them for reasonable consequential losses (ie time and travel costs). If necessary you can do this through the Small Claims system at your County Court if they won't cough up when you ask them to.

I had a laptop from Currys which was continually breaking down. The ruling that they have (and as PC World is the same company I imagine theirs is the same) is that if the repairs extend beyond 28 days they have to replace the laptop - in my case, I got a refund. The repair isn't one single repair, but any repeated repairs for the same problem. Log everything with dates so that you can prove you aren't deliberately delaying getting the machine fixed to get it to go over the 28 days and once you get there ring them and also write to them to state the problems (with all your logged information)asking for a refund under their 28 day ruling.

Unfortunately, you are batting your head against a brick wall until you reach that point. Believe me, I know!!

You lot are amazing :flowers: is there anything you can't get answered by Fugees :biggrin:

I'm going to hire a diffrent BR disc on Sunday just to be sure it's not the disc thats making it crash, if it's still kaka then...... "Hi ho hi ho it's to PC World we go"