UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Was It A Fit?

Jazz

Yesterday, Lissie got lost in the garden, which hasnt happened for a while. I went out for a couple of hours, and when I came back, shes ripped up the side of her bed, which is unusual.

Sitting here, ive just watched her in her bed, scrabbling round on her side, so much, that shes ripped up the inside of her bed. her mouth was open and she was breathing heavily. She looked a bit dazed after. It lasted just over a minute.

Was she having a fit or a 'mad minute' do you think?

Hard to say really, there are a lot of "if, buts and maybes" with fits, I know quite a few dogs who have had idiopathic fits, and there's not a damned thing wrong with them, fits can be brought on by low levels of potassium, so untill there is more definite proof even a vet won't be able to tell you. My friends Springer had an idiopathic ( no known cause) fit the other week, he collapsed and lay twitching on his side, but he's absolutely fine, if she has another one see if she can respond to you, if she's having a fit, she won't even know your there.

Hope she's ok :GroupHug:

Hi Jazz

It does sound like an episode of some sort of brain activity. Make a note of the circumstances before and after, time of day etc etc. In the meantime might be worth your while having a look here .... http://www.canineepilepsy.co.uk/default.htm - there is info on signs of other brain activity that's not epilepsy. You may also find similar and more indepth info here http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/site_map.htm

and look out for tell tail signs such as her bed being in a jumble which looks out of the usual ...

HTH's

Sandra

First of all let me send you all :GroupHug: 's and I hope Lissie is a lot better today.

Fits are all different, what happens to one dog/person might not happen to another. It does sound like raceylacy says 'some form of brain activity'. Should and if it happens again, don't panic, try to make sure Lissie is in a safe position and get her to rest afterwards. Make notes of all that happens, eye/limb movements all that kind of stuff, and write it down straight away. The notes will help if you decide to take her to the vets.

We've had this with Jack poopie this week :(

Mum rang me on Monday to say that he'd gone to jump up on her lap and just slid down and that his eyes were sunken in so much that she could only see the whites :(

We took him to the vets, where Hugh recorded his temperature at 104 :ohmy: and gave him some pheno-barbitone? (sp) and some stuff up his bum and he has to go back on Friday for blood tests to rule out anything else like parasites etc.

He's on tabs twice a day for a month until we can get to the bottom of it - poor sod isn't even a year old yet :mecry:

Edited by supafrisk

• 3 months later...

I'm fostering an elderly GSD bitch who was picked up as a stray and started to have fits a year ago after being in kennels for a year. She has been diagnosed with canine epilepsy and has cluster seizures, which means more than one over a period of hours or days. Before I was asked to foster her she was having them frequently but with medication was down to episodes every 6 weeks or so; although on phenobarbitone she also want into status and needed rectal valium. She went 10 weeks without seizures after I got her then 3 weeks ago fitted over a period of 4 days and was kept at the vets.

She is on phenobarbitone and bromide twice daily and has a special hepatic diet and supplements as the medication has impaired her liver funcrion.

I have had dogs over the years which have had fits but associated with other causes such as fever; there is a lot of very useful information on the internet about canine epilepsy and especially useful is information from owners of dogs with the disease as the dogs behaviour pre and post seizures can be very strange.

Dogs with epilepsy can have a really good quality of life if the seizures are managed and it has been wonderful to see the progress of this old lady from living in a home environment instead of kennels, even to playing with other dogs and living with dogs/cats/visiting grandchildren!

Very high maintenance but very well worth it!

Joe has been having them for 10 years, the vet I had then put him on phenabarb but gave 4 times the dosage he should have had then they didn't want to know so I changed vets. My new vet couldn't take him off the phenabarb right away, Joe had to be weaned off it slowly but unless the fit is a really bad one they don't give the dogs any medication until they have done tests. Said to many things can go wrong with medicating for seizures.

Gradually we worked out that Joe's fits are food alergies, he is alergic to all dairy products, all cereals apart from white rice, he is also alergic to white rice, and raw meat. As long as he doesn't have any of these he doesn't have a seizure.

Many seizures are food related, usually additives but older dogs can develop them for no known reason. I think I have information about seizures, let me have your email address and I will send it to you. This information is more on the holistic approach to seizures and I learnt a lot from them when Joe was having his.

It is harder on you than your dog, she doesn't know she is having them but you have to watch her. :GroupHug:

I think your safest action is to try and capture it on video or on your mobile phone and show it to a vet. At the end of the day, many of us here have had dogs that have fits but none of us are qualified vets and episodes such as you describe should probably be looked at by someone qualified to make a decision and tailor treatment to suit :flowers: