UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Pts Numbers.

raiye

Wasn't it someone on here that wanted to do the 8,000 empty dog bowls somewhere to highlight this?

We did someting similar with empty collars at the first DNB meet. At the time the number of dogs pts during the amnesty was about 70 and we had an empty collar for each one.

The majority of people thought they were for sale and missed the point somewhat :wacko:

We did someting similar with empty collars at the first DNB meet. At the time the number of dogs pts during the amnesty was about 70 and we had an empty collar for each one.

The majority of people thought they were for sale and missed the point somewhat :wacko:

:wacko: some people :rolleyes: Fab idea though

Do you think 8000 bowls would be more effective? I'd always thought that if you got the right location that would come over as very poignant (as long as no one thought they were for sale!)

• 2 months later...
Wasn't it someone on here that wanted to do the 8,000 empty dog bowls somewhere to highlight this?

I think it was Fi from Lizzies Barn who wanted 4000 dog collars for her art instillation that represented a number of dogs pts.

We take out of a pound that if we didn't take them on the 8th day they will pts and are using this in our publicity but not sure if message gets through as Wales has a bad record re strays and unwanted dogs. People genuinely don't know the extent of the problem and when they do don't want to think too hard about it as its too painful for them so its put at the back of their mind.

I think it is a really good idea. TBH ANYTHING which makes people think, especially at this time of year is great. I'm posting this poem everywhere I can and with a nice warm cheery Christmas border round it; several people have commented on it being "chilling" - good - it's meant to be!!! If it stops just one person buying a "throwaway" pup this Christmas then it's worked.

Ye Olde Puppy Shoppe !!!

We love our puppy customers -

They're our No 1 bread and butter,

Especially right now at Christmas time

With their MasterCards all a-flutter.

Oh sure, they've heard about puppyfarms -

They don't live in a cave.

The tree-huggers dreamed THAT whole thing up.

They're really quite depraved!

All OUR pups came from "Local Breeders".

These signs around TELL you so;

We paint 'em up and hang 'em high

'Cause we want you to know!

We don't put a price on honesty,

But this pup will cost eight hundred dollars.

You don't think that we make the big bucks

Selling fish food and martingale collars !

But back to our Christmas Greeting

And why we wish you all Good Cheer;

You see, you are $pecial folks to us

At this festive time of year.

We love you because you're lazy,

Though very well-connected.

You just won't take the time to find

A breeder who's respected.

You so rarely do your homework.

(Santa, send us MORE trusting fellas

With no time to learn about Legg Perthes

Or Luxating Patellas !)

Zoonotic's not a word you learned

Playing Scrabble or at school ?

Color Mutant Alopecia ? Duh !

We LOVE it, man, you're COOL !!!

Cryptorchids must be flowers from Hawaii you say ?

We will sure not tell you better.

And you don't need to know Brucellosis, my friend,

Unless, of course, you get 'er !!!

You think that CERF-ing's what cool dudes do

Somewhere out in California ?

And OFA's just another old workplace law ?

We're sure not going to warn you !

But should we stumble upon someone

Who IS savvy in any way,

We'll just start extolling the wonderful work

Of the grand ole USDA !!!

We love you 'cause you just don't care -

You buy it because you want it.

You can lay your cash on OUR counter, ma'am,

If you've got it, you OUGHT to flaunt it !!!

We love the things you DON'T ask !!!

It makes our job so easy.

If you saw the sights behind the scene

You'd probably get quite queasy.

You'll never see the breeding dogs

Who suffer on the wire,

Or pups die of hyper-thermia

When their truck gets a flat tire.

We'll keep you from our back room, too,

And put a padlock on the freezer.

Those tiny puppies stiff and cold

Would not be a crowd pleaser.

We hope you have a vet you like -

That pup's probably gonna need him.

Ivomec wears off in thirty days -

That's how long we've guaranteed him !!!

Who cares when you get that blue slip home

And find out that it wasn't true.

Your Local Breeder's way out in Kansas ?

HO! HO! HO! That joke's on you !!!

So come and see us, one and all -

Join in our Christmas Cheer !

We've strung the tinsel all around.

If we could, we'd serve you beer !

We've got the carols playing

And a Santa, for good reason;

We're all scrubbed up and lookin' good

So you'll make our Christmas season.

As you walk away with your new pup

We'll shed a happy Christmas tear.

Don't change ONE THING about yourself-

Just DO come back next year !!!

(ching, ching)

Shannon McClure

Addie's Safehouse

[email protected]

© 1999

It would be good if there was a UK version of that as I'm sure some will read it and think yes well that's USA. We have standards and regulatory bodies here.

Actually Michelle I've just had a look at it and I think it could be changed to fit the UK relatively easily. If you want I'll have a stab at it?

Sledge hammers rarely work, the moment you start making people think they are "bad" or "stupid" or "ignorant" or any of the negative words that they do NOT associate with themselves then you have lost them - I should know cos thats me to a "T" don't try "guilting" me cos I am far more likely to dig my heels in and dismiss everything thats said and write the person off saying it as "tosser" or as some rabid activist, this applies whatever the subject even if I actually DO know that maybe theres some sense in what I am being told - classic examples from me to illustrate ... recently I have been at the Dr's as most of you know, what I didn't say was that Dr said "we will need to have a little talk about your smoking" and my reply was "you must really enjoy wasting your time then..." now I'm not stupid, I do know the dangers and the risks, but I choose not to hear the message because I am sick of it... daft attitude? Probably but thats me... similarily back in the days when I was actually trying to lose weight I once upon a time went to weight watchers and one week I put on a 1lb rather than losing, now there was a bloody good reason why I did but thats besides the point... during the meeting the lady running it told everyone there I'd gained weight and told me to stand up and then proceeded to tell me she expected me to lose 2lb next week to make up for it.... did this inspire me to meet the target? Nope - I went straight out and bought a bag of chips and with every one I ate I was spiteing her... again I know damned well the only one who paid for that was me but thats not the way I function :laugh:

Point being you wanna influence me, then do so by treating me with a bit of respect, by treading softly, drip feeding me, lead me, never ever EVER dictate to me or TELL me - be passionate about your subject by all means but never rant AT me and the moment you make me feel like you are judging me and finding me not living up to your standards you have lost the battle.

This is where many many campaigns lose their audience - cos theres one hell of a lot of people out there just like me ...and it's those people you need to reach.

my sentiments exactly.

I think if that poem was adapted to using British words and phrases it would be great. We could all print it off and stick it in shop windows,vets,everywhere (with permission of course),but as its quite long I think it would need compacting or people wouldnt bother reading to the end. x