UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cracked Pads

Spins4me

Flo has two deep cracks in one front paw. Her other paws are fine. I've been checking her feet regularly mainly for those sticky green balls that are around at the moment and grass seeds. On Friday night she was licking her paw a lot and I checked it but couldn't see anything. On Saturday morning she was limping.

When I looked there were two deep cracks in the large pad. We went to the vet straight away who said they had been neglected and were now infected so anti -inflammatories and antibiotics plus lead walking and bandaging her foot.

I felt really bad that the vet said the foot had been neglected, there had been nothing there when I checked on Friday night.

What I would like to know is: can cracked pads be prevented and how can they be cured - preferably without antibiotics?

• 1 month later...

i had a similar problem with my staff and i asked the vet about the cracks, he said sometimes fissures are diet related and sometimes hereditary, i use the shaws paw wax from pets at home as i found the hyperdrug one quite runny, if you do go to get the shaws one though, open the tin and check it as the last few times i have been there has been a gritty white substance in there when there shouldn't be!

as for the vet saying your dogs paws had been neglected... well you noticed a problem and it developed overnight so not neglected at all .

http://www.tuffoot.com/about/index.htm

charlie our staffie sometimes gets cracked pads. my theory is she will get a little crack or split/cut from something that is hardly noticeable and then over a period of 12-24 hours will constantly lick/chew it so a few hrs later it looks much worse. We buy hydrocortisone cream over the counter at the chemist which calms itching and any inflammation ( it's a very low dose steroid cream) which seems to help. We have started using this stuff recently and her paws seem better.

My GWP Lottie and Lizzies (Coryn's) GWP Maya get this. I don't put anything on Lottie incase she licks it off. I cut her walks down a bit for a while and she seems ok. ATM she has a couple of splits in one pad that are not bothering her at all. Mind you she has to be on lead just now as she has staples in her leg. (Not that you'd know it) Silly tart was charging round the house with a buster collar on last night leaving a right trail of destruction. :biglaugh:

Edited by one.eyed.dog

We eventually used the potato water cure - peel a few potatoes, boil the skins in water for 5 mins or so, drain and cool. Soak the dog's foot in the water. It was brilliant. The inflammation settled really quickly and after about three soaks it healed over. I took her back to the vet and she was amazed that it had healed so quickly. I did put a double sock on her foot and topped it with a bit of vetrap (?sp) to keep it clean but it was only for a couple of days.

I think it was about half a middle sized saucepan with 2-3 middle sized potatoes. When we were soaking th paw we used enough water to cover the it. Flo, of course, thought we were trying to stick her foot in boiling acid or similar :rolleyes: and was not at her most co-operative.

"For sore cracked pads, boil up some potato peel and use the water when cool to immerse the paw. The pad will heal in a couple of days."

This came from: http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/grooming/...tions2.htm#soft

Edited by Spins4me