UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Is This Kennel Cough?

Julie C

Thursday Harry was sick 5 or 6 times and it was just frothy/bile. Yesterday he started with a cough. At first I thought he had something in his throat but then he started with a real hacking sound that sounds more like a cough. It is not all the time, we do get periods when there is nothing but then out it comes, as if he is going to be sick and finishes with the cough. We gave him some honey in water yesterday and he has drunk some today. What I need to know is, is it kennel cough, does he need to see the vet, does the vet need to know as he was in last week for a check up on his castration, if it is, obviously he can't go for a walk but for how long. Sorry for all the questions but have never had this happen to any of my dogs and it's quite distressing to see them cough like that. Thank you. :flowers:

It does sound very much like kennel cough :( It might be worth letting your vet know as he has been there recently.

You can boil up liquorice <sp> sticks and give them that with honey water but it's not something I've used so I will let someone else tell you how to do it!

It's not nice to see them is it, I hope he's feeling better soon. I can't remember how long it lasts for or how long you need to keep them in for, sorry. Mine did have ABs but I don't think they all need them, I think it depends on the severity and the risk of secondary infection (think that's the right term!).

Sounds like kennel cough to me, personally I would take him to the vet as it sounds like he has it quite badly. At work (Dogs Trust) we use Benylin, just the human cough syrup giving about 3-5mls twice a day depending on the size of dog. If it's bad they'll also sometimes give them some pills (Trib, which I think is an antibiotic) and it seems to work quite well. Hope he feels better soon!