UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Inflammatory Bowel Disease

estweyn

More tests have been sent off for Josh today, but from the results already recieved the vet seems to be leaning towards saying he has inflammatory bowel disease.

Has anyone experienced this with their dog. He has lost approx 15 kl in weight since March this year, the last set of blood tests showed Hepatitis (despite being vaccinated) he went on antibiotics and things settled a little but first day off the antibiotics and we are back to stage one.

He has runny pooh but no blood or mucus in it. He gets a bit tired but otherwise is pretty normal. His coat is still in good condition. Its the weight loss really thats of concern. He is an adult male gsd with a big frame so is underweight at this.

Any helpful advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Avril

My sisters dog Ailsa had this, she fed her Burns with very good results, it seems to be a case of trial and error with food, having an inflammitory bowel disease myself I know the types of food that are tolerated are diffrent for everyone and they can change. There are a number of suppliments you can try to sooth the gut, ginger, peppermint and Slippery Elm are some of the top of my head.