UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Wonky Cooper!

JACKYSIAN

I've finally admitted to myself that the time is coming that Cooper needs to be on restricted exercise. Bless his little heart, he still wants to charge around and play but he just physically can't do it. I've noticed the last few weeks on the 2nd walk of the day he's struggling to keep up and on tuesday I did take them on a 4 mile walk and by the end I had to carry him to the car. :mecry: :mecry:

My problem is Cooper doesn't cope well being left alone, when I first forstered him he used to howl and bark when left but that soon stopped when he realised I did come back and the others were still with him. I'm pretty sure he'd get very distressed left alone, but the other 3 all need/want 2 walks a day so how do I decide who to leave with him? Tiz would quiet happily stay at home, but as she's slightly over weight she needs the exercise and Cromwell even though he's 14 is still very very energetic (and I'm not even considering Sidney :laugh: good god with 2 good walks a day he still bounces alot...can't imagine if he was only on 1!!!)

So what would you do? Take him but keep him on lead even though it upsets him? If this I'd then have to reduce the length of the walk for the others. Or leave him home and alternate each day between Tiz and Cromwell staying with him?

I hate that I have to decide this because he loves going out and doesn't understand that his legs and hips are not working. He's such a wonderful happy little soul. :mecry: :mecry:

Edited by JACKYSIAN

Oh Jacky I'm sorry to hear Cooper is slowing down :GroupHug:

Does he insist on joining in at full speed on walks? I was just wondering if you could get a doggy pram for him (stop laughing!) that he could go into for parts of the walk but if he doesn't like being on lead then would he accept being put in a pram :unsure: Can you push a pram over sand :unsure:

Anyway I am hoping you do come up with a workable solution for all of you :flowers:

Marion

:laugh: I'm sorry I'm sure they are brilliant for other people but never in a month of sundays!!! :laugh: Aside from usually walking on beaches or clifftops which would make it impossible, I'm already known as the nutty animal woman in the village...imagine the gossip if I used one of them!!! :rolleyes: The problem is on the walks he tries to play with Sidney, if I keep him on lead he pulls and yaps and usually gets himself in a flap!! If I leave him off he literally runs himself into the ground!! It's very hard having one hyperactive dog who can't cope unless he has a ball to chase (if I don't allow Sidney a ball he will attack Tiz..only playing but it usually results in her flooring him and lots of spit and teeth!! :rolleyes: ) and another who wants to play but shouldn't!! :(

It really makes to angry to be honest, this little fella just doesn't deserve it. I just know his body is giving up on him and it breaks my heart knowing I'm going to have to decide his fate before his mind is ready. :( :(

I would alternate his stay at home companion. That way, on days when you only have Tiz and Sidney you can walk even longer (considering fit yet still old Cromwell won't over do it with them). It might feel weird to start with, but they will soon get used to their new routine.

Forgot to say, I would take Cooper and who ever is on his rota that day, for a short walk before taking the others for a long one. That way he might not feel quite so "left out".

Edited by DanishPastry