UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Silly O'clock Pizzing

Mommy Bear

For the last 2/3 weeks Duke has been getting me up, anytime between 4 and 6 am to go out and pizz. Not just a dribble but a full on "oh my god thats better".

He had an week of this a while ago and a visit to the vet could find nothing out of the ordinary in his urine and nothing to feel in his abdomen. He was on Burgess Supadog Sensitive at the time because I was feeding it to Mungo and thought Duke's colitis would benefit. The Vet didn't think it was the food ???

I think it mught be food related. He is on Supadog again which has done wonders for his colitis with only a couple of very very minor episodes since his explosive turn at the vets. Because of weight loss over a few months, and so as not to overload his stomach, I am feeding him three times a day but he is now not bothering with his breakfast but wolfing down lunch and tea.

His nocturnal pizzing seems to have been happening again since this new regime. Sorry Vet but I don't think it is a coincidence

I thought I might mix Supadog with another food (he was not too bad on Wagg) to see if I can find a balance between managing his colitis and less pizzing. Or is there another sensitive food a Fugee uses and would recommend?

Your ideas and opinions would be welcome.

For the last 2/3 weeks Duke has been getting me up, anytime between 4 and 6 am to go out and pizz. Not just a dribble but a full on "oh my god thats better".

He had an week of this a while ago and a visit to the vet could find nothing out of the ordinary in his urine and nothing to feel in his abdomen. He was on Burgess Supadog Sensitive at the time because I was feeding it to Mungo and thought Duke's colitis would benefit. The Vet didn't think it was the food ???

I think it mught be food related. He is on Supadog again which has done wonders for his colitis with only a couple of very very minor episodes since his explosive turn at the vets. Because of weight loss over a few months, and so as not to overload his stomach, I am feeding him three times a day but he is now not bothering with his breakfast but wolfing down lunch and tea.

His nocturnal pizzing seems to have been happening again since this new regime. Sorry Vet but I don't think it is a coincidence

I thought I might mix Supadog with another food (he was not too bad on Wagg) to see if I can find a balance between managing his colitis and less pizzing. Or is there another sensitive food a Fugee uses and would recommend?

Your ideas and opinions would be welcome.

Can you not try to 'rearrange' his mealtimes by dropping tea to see if it will encourage him to eat breakfast. Maybe then he will pizz at tea-bed time and not silly o'clock?

Can you not try to 'rearrange' his mealtimes by dropping tea to see if it will encourage him to eat breakfast. Maybe then he will pizz at tea-bed time and not silly o'clock?

That's something I hadn't thought of. Thanks SF - will give it a try - tomorrow 'cos I've already fed him :rolleyes:

send him to Balmedie Mommybear.....lol I am up at silly o'clock to go to work £am work starts 4.30am lol

Hey Stranger, how ya doin. I know Duke would go to you in a minute - he luffed you when he met you cos you had magic fingers !! BUT YA CAN'T HAVE HIM !! How's the wine business doing??

What do you do that warrants getting up at that time of day ?

Hey Stranger, how ya doin. I know Duke would go to you in a minute - he luffed you when he met you cos you had magic fingers !! BUT YA CAN'T HAVE HIM !! How's the wine business doing??

What do you do that warrants getting up at that time of day ?

I have been and am working at the airport as well as doing my Reiki and now reflexology for animals Indian head massage and facial reflexology.

All good fun

WTG Edith.

Update on Duke - last couple of nights he has slept through to 7am (when I had to get up for a piz so while I was up fed the hordes!) and there was no urgency to go out even then.

I hope it is because I'm mixing the sensitive food with regular 1/4 regular 3/4 sensitive. Burgess Supadog Sensitive produces very very dry stools - sometimes almost "crumbly" so perhaps less of the sensitive means less moisture being absorbed into his system = less overnight urgency?

Don't really know but it sounds possible.

(Having actually written this down he will probably now revert to silly o'clock again. Will let you know)

I've only just seen this thread and ironically, I worry about Sol not peeing enough :wacko:

He eats only Burgess Supadog Sensitive (free feeds, food available 24 hours per day with no set meal times) and seems to drink plenty. It goes without saying that fresh water is always available to him. He has Burgess because a) he suffers from colitis type digestive problems if he has anything else and b) it's what he chooses. Between Clazuk and his previous owner, they found out that he prefers it without anything like tinned dog food added.

I think my concern is a hangover from the experience of managing my Weimaraner's transitional cell carcinoma which I did very effectively for 2 years or so. I got a bit obssessive about colourless clear wee and there being copious amounts of it! I was advised by the vet that this was what I should be looking to achieve. Melvin Weimaraner was fed on Eukanuba throughout his life.

Sol can go for 18 hours and more without needing a pee - no cruelty was involved in discovering this fact btw., as I'm sure you'd know. These have been occasions when I've been ill and where the back door is open giving him free access to the garden. He simply prefers staying in bed unless a walk is on offer.

When I wake up in the morning, the first thing I've always done is let the dog out to relieve him/herself but Sol won't shift until he knows I'm 100% ready to take him for his walk. He actually pulls the bedclothes over himself and hides his face to make it plain that he doesn't want to go out into the garden. If I'm having a "dressed up" day at work with full makeup and everything, I might not leave the house until 2 hours after I've woken up. I've been accustomed from early childhood to think: "dog has woken, first thing he/she'll need to do is empty tanks". It seems so logical.

Even once we've left the house, Sol will often walk for up to 10 minutes before he finds what he deems to be the right spot. I'd have thought he'd be busting but even then he'll just pee a modest amount followed by more modest amounts as he finds further suitable spots. His urine is quite a dark yellow but not smelly (please don't ask me how I know this!) Sol's stools, like Dukes, are dry and firm. I'd been thinking that perhaps it is the Supadog Sensitive meaning less moisture is being absorbed into the system. Maybe the Regular food has this effect to a more powerful degree if it's helping with Duke's urgency issues? I hope the effect is a lasting one, Mommy Bear :flowers:

I've asked the vet when Sol has been for routine visits - in fact I've seen several vets in the practice and none are concerned at all. Do you think I ought to insist on tests or something or am I whittling about nothing? :unsure:

Alison if it's any help my Bruno is the same, I get up each day for work and several of the bedroom dogs go out to pee.

Bruno instead see's it as a chance to rearrange the bedclothes and ensconce himself, he's gone for more then 14 hours in the past without a pee.

I reckon it's sheer egomania on their parts, i.e. how dare a human ask them to pee when there is a warm comfy bed to be used?

That said Bruno pees less often than the rest of the horde overall :)

Back to square one !! Five o'clock this morning, five thirty yesterday!! And now he's doing the rumbly tummy, doesn't want breakfast, where is the grass routine. Poor dog. I might as well put him back on the sensitive full time and look for some other cause.

Alison - did you take a sample of Sol's wee to the vet. It can't do any harm and could set your mind at rest. They can tell a lot from testing it (as I'm sure you know). I know you (one) feels a bit of a tit running round the garden with a bowl trying to catch it but hey - tis cos we luff them. :rolleyes: Methinks I'll be doing this as the next step. They didn't find anything last time but its worth another try.