UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cartrophen Injections

Fee

Callie was very stiff and arthritic when she came to us, nearly a year ago. We started her on Seraquin, which are glucosamine supplements, and until recently these definitely improved her mobility and she seemed reasonably comfortable.

Over the last few weeks, however, she has stiffened up again and her back legs in particular have become very wobbly. She has slowed right down on walks and seems to have trouble getting herself up and started in the mornings. I felt really depressed about her at the weekend, her quality of life seemed to have deteriorated so much I wasn't sure how long it was fair to keep her going.

I took her to the vet this morning and he has recommended a course of Cartrophen injections. We had the first one done this morning, and she will need 3 more over the next 3 weeks. It's very much a 'try it and see' but if it doesn't help her I'm not sure that there are many more options we can try.

I just wondered whether anyone else's dog has had this treatment, and how successful it was? Also any other experience of dealing with severe arthritis that has gone past the stage where diet/supplements seem to be helping?

Sully had them and in all honesty they have been a miracle. He was on max dose of Rimadyl before that for about a year, but they weren't working well enough, so we tried the injections. He had to come off the Rioamdyl before he started the jabs so he got worse first, and there was no improvement for ages Then after the 3rd one I was thinking maybe he was a little better, but the vet was talking about putting him back on the Rimadyl because he was really struggling, but he just suddenly started responding and we've not looked back since. He's off the Rimadyl completely at the moment (he still has his joint supplements, etc), I was toying putting him back on a low dose the last few weeks cos it has been so cold and he has been feeling it, but I didn't in the end. He is still better than he ever was on the Rimadyl.

He had the last one a couple of months ago, and we will start another course in a month (3 months is the soonest he can have more). After that he should be able to wait 6 months for the next ones.

And just so I know I am not imagining it, over Christmas he managed to jump up on his hind lings to steal a joint of gammon :rolleyes: he'd never have been able to do that before hand.

But, on the other hand I don't want to get your hopes up too much, the vet said he had responded amazingly well to them, and he hadn't expected such a good response. He said about 50% of dogs do well on them, 30% have a slight improvement and 20% no difference. But with minimal side effects it's got to be worth the risk. :)

Thanks Pboae. Yes, those were the sort of odds my vet quoted me as well in terms of how many dogs were helped. It's encouraging to hear they helped Sully so much, though, I'm just praying Callie is one of the 'lucky' 50% as well.

Apparently we aren't likely to see much improvement until after the fourth injection, so it's a bit of a nail-biting wait to see what happens.

I hope Sully continues to do well :flowers:

Megan (our bridge girl) had one set of Cartrophen Injections and she showed a marked improvement. :biggrin:

Unfortunately we stopped after the second injection in the next course as Megan appeared to get depressed and her appetite went to almost nothing (unfortunately something we struggled with until we lost her :( )

Thanks for the replies, everyone, it's interesting to hear peoples' different experiences. On the basis of this thread the vet's assessment of 50% of dogs showing significant improvement sounds about right.

Keep everything crossed for my Callie, please. :flowers:

my dog has just had his first injection. my vet said her dog didnt respond to the first course but a definate improvement on the second. she also gave it to another dog who improved almost straight away. my pointer has ocd and he is on canine cortaflex HA. i would definately recommend it. also, stride HA which my old horse has but they dog a canine version.

Is it Callie pictured in your avatar Fee? I've been admiring the grey face for a while now!

Just thought I would add that if you seriously get to the point where you are questioning Callie's quality of life (having given the cartrophen a good time to work) I think you have nothing to lose by trying some of the standard pain-killers (metacam, rimadyl etc). Supplements have never been enough to keep Lily mobile and she has tried a variety of pain relief medications over the last few years, some with better effect than others. It could be that these treatments are the cause of her current digestive problems, but the way I look at it is that they have given her 4 years of active life when she could have been written off at the age of 4 because she was in a lot of pain and very depressed. Hope that makes sense and hope Callie feels a bit better soon.

Thanks Karen - yes that is Callie on my avatar. :wub:

I have discussed with the vet using a painkiller - my other oldie dog is on glucosamine supplements + Metacam which seems to work well for her and hasn't caused her any problems so far. Unfortunately Callie is also taking something of a cocktail of heart medications which the vet feels would not mix well with Metacam etc.

If the Cartrophen injections don't work, then he suggests a course of painkillers/anti-inflamatories by injection (I can't remember the name of the drug), but he has given a fairly stark warning that although that will make her more comfortable it is likely to make her heart worse and will probably shorten her life. Obviously in the end it's quality of life that's important, but of course I'm hoping we can achieve that with the Cartrophen and without the side effects.