UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Calling All Diy People

agilitymad

Can i remove paint for a wall?

I'm in the process of stripping the wall paper off my living room walls and some of the paint underneath has pealed of with it but some hasn't i would love to be able to just paint the walls as the wall paper gets so muddy and dirty with the dogs. :rolleyes:

The other problem is when we tried painting the walls before the paper went up the paint after a few days started to bubble and peel off the walls thats why we decided to wall paper but didn't have the three dogs then. :wacko:

Sooooo is their anything i can do to get the rest of the paint of the wall or do i have to wall paper the whole room again :)

Please help as OH is driving me mad as he wants to use paint stripper :ohmy:

just one more thing once the walls are back to plaster do i need to reseal the walls with emalsion and pva glue before putting colour on the walls

You need to sand it down thoroughly and then seal the plaster and then apply a couple of layers (with roller) of Base Coat (Polycell make one but B&Q do their own one as well) which will even out the walls. Don't apply it with a brush cos it will leave ridges/brush marks. After that you can paint over it.

Don't paint straight over the plaster/wall because the plaster sucks the moisture out of the paint which is why it flakes off, so it needs to be sealed first to be on the safe side. I speak from experience having ignored my plasterer and painted straight onto the plaster :rolleyes:

I am currently doing the same in my house, having removed shedloads of Anaglypta from uneven walls, so I feel your pain :wacko:

we put the anaglypta (sp) wallpaper up, you know the white textured stuff, coz it hides a multitude of bumps and dents in walls and then we paint over it with washable paint. It looks much nicer than flat painted walls I think. x

We did the same in the vestibule, papered with anaglypta on the bottom half put up dado rail and have plain above, then varnished over the painted anaglypta so it's tough as old boots and scrubable, sounds rancid but it's actually very nice :biggrin:

It's a horrible job but worth it, we had lots of walls covered with woodchip paper, it was a pain to get off!

:wacko: We wodd panelled the bottom half of the halls and papered the top half. The bathrooms we did the same but instead of paper I painted with textured paint. If you've got gloss paint that needs repainting wash it with Sugar Soap, good luck :)