UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Disc Problems

Gnasher

Gnasher who is an eight year old collie/terrier type cross has recently been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease, he has several areas on his back where the disc is causing pressure on his spine and causing him a loss of sensation in his back legs causing him to be drag his leg at times and be generally clumsy and not fully aware of what his back legs are doing Surgery is not an option for him at the moment (and probably won't be) so I am doing whatever I can to minimise damage and help him.

At the moment this includes wearing a coat to keep his back warm, a magnetic collar, acupuncture when his back is hurting him, joint aid supplement, attempting to minimise his jumping (as much as you can with a collie/terrier ) and last week we have started swimming as well

Has anyone got any experience or other suggestions which might help my lovely lad :wub:

Ah, sorry to hear about Gnasher. My oldie Ben had degenerative disc disease as well as arthritis. He had an MRI and surgery which I am sure did help, for a while at least. I think you are doing everything you can!! Ben wore a magnetic collar too and had supplements and metacam. Not sure what else you can try that you're not already! Ben used to drag his hind leg too, which resulted in his feet bleeding, we bought him some boots for when he went outside and these helped a lot. :GroupHug:

Edited by Brenda