UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

First Agility Comp Next Weekend.......

Tempest

Jess and I are entered into our first ever agility competition next weekend so I need some advice and reassurance because I'm absolutely petrified already :laugh:

We're basically just doing it for fun and I'm totally prepared for it all to be a completely nightmarish hash and anything else is a bouns lol.gif Basically as long as I don't fall over in the mud and break my leg and Jess has a good day that's all I'm after :laugh:

It's the UK Agility show at Prested Hall in Essex that we're doing and we're entered into 3 classes. Our trainer has suggested the possibility of taking a toy in to the ring and just use each round as a training round to make things a bit easier which I'm more than happy to do :)

Just really wondered if anyone had any words of wisdom for coping with the nerves and if anyone was actually going to be at the show as it would be great to say hello!

Good luck! Nerves are good, if I ever get to the start line and am not nervous I am invariably crap! If you are worried about falling over, what shoes are you wearing? I wear football boots for muddy/wet ground and astroturf boots for normal ground

good luck i'm sure you'll be fine :GroupHug:

the first comp i went to lucky did the the first Jump and then did a wee right by the judge (we were asked to leave) :laugh: the thing is in training he is fine but i think he picks up on my nerves and plays on it so we haven't ever completed a course at a show but still enjoy it :)

Finn and I did our first ever agility comp on Easter Sunday.

I was sooo nervous but Finn was fine and a star :wub:

I took rescue remedy on the morning and my friends came with me to keep me occupied when I was not in the ring!

Remember to breathe! Walk the course so you know it. Take it steady - don't try and 'over-compete' - this is what I used to do with horses and always messed up! With Finn I just concentrated on getting it right!

Relax, try to enjoy it and have fun :)

I've been competing for 2 years now and still get terribly nervous going to a show. You'll be fine, UKA shows are the best place to start as they are quite relaxed. I find the best thing to do is watch some of the other beginners - sounds terribl but some rounds that you watch don't go so well and it does make you feel better about yourself - as least you aren't the only one of something goes wrong! I'm sure you'll do better than you think!

Don't worry if it goes wrong, you know you have the best dog there :wub: I've been competing for about 4 years now and only this year are we approaching anything like consistency at shows - we all have to learn and have our first show :)

Work on getting Jess focused on you before you start, so play with her or do some tricks or control exercises in the queue or on your way to the ring.

Thanks for all the advice everyone - 'tis muchly appreciated :rolleyes: My paperwork turned up from UK Agility today so it seems even more real now :laugh: I also think I might have entered Jess in the wrong height class as I entered her in Standard but I think she might be Maxi now - she's a lab :rolleyes: Does anyone know what will happen if she is in the wrong class?

Btw is anyone going to be at Prested Hall as I'd love to say hello :rolleyes:

Unless she is a very small lab i would imagine she is maxi, i think its over 20 inches. My springer and small goldie are both maxi, its only my 19 in collie thats std. If you are worried i would probably e mail the uka office. (contact details on the uka website). I've always found them really helpful. You might just need to go to the secretaries tent on the day - thats why i like uka, so much more relaxed than KC. The usually do measuring in the morning by the secretaries tent, so if you are worried about what height she is you could always get her measured.

Best of luck with your first competition. The nerves for me are usually horrendous, but nothing compares to the feeling you get after having done your first run. Its amazing!

I've only done a couple of competitions and have started runing a gorgeous collie for a lovely couple at our local club (they're not fast enough for her - neither am I, but a bit faster than they are!). We entered our very first competition a couple of weeks ago and got one clear round from 5 runs. I was eccstatic, as were the owners. We all thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the nerves.

Go for it :biggrin: :flowers:

Unfortunately I've had absolutely horrendous flu this week (today's pretty much the first day I've made it out of bed) so I think it's pretty safe to say we're not going to be able to make our first comp on Saturday (given that it involves a 6am start and a longish drive to get there). Realistically there's just no way I'm going to be up to it am so disappointed though :(