UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cdrm

Jazz

Shadow the 9yr old GSD has the start of CDRM. The vet 'knuckled' her back feet and they didnt come forward very quickly. Shes not been herself for a while, cant put my finger on it, know what I mean?

She has arthritis too.

Have you had experience of this? What signs do I look for to know its advancing?

Thank you xxxx

• 2 months later...

Sending Loads of Reiki Jazz to both you and to Shadow......no advice to give accept restricted walks which you know already, omega3,6,9.....green lipped mussel tabs.........thats the extent of my knowledge I'm afraid... Thinking about you.

Love

Edith

x

I had a dog years ago with a mild form of this, he twonked on for a good few years but I know it can cause problems pretty quickly in some cases. Its said to be like MS in humans. Basils back legs became increasingly twonky but he built up muscle in his front quarters to carry the back half better. He didnt seem to get pain from it, the vet said it was as if the nervous system was dying. I made the decision that if he became incontinent and could not get about then I would ease him from this life, but he died at 12 in his sleep. It seems quite individual with each dog.

Good luck with your dog, I know you can get little shoes for the foot if they start dragging it and it gets sore.

Shadow the 9yr old GSD has the start of CDRM. The vet 'knuckled' her back feet and they didnt come forward very quickly. Shes not been herself for a while, cant put my finger on it, know what I mean?

She has arthritis too.

Have you had experience of this? What signs do I look for to know its advancing?

Thank you xxxx

Gracie's feet didn't come forward when the vet did this but it was her arthritis, she has it in both back legs so she struggled to get her feet back in position. He sent her for hydrotherapy and she is fine now, in fact she is back to being a little sh** :laugh:

she was falling over last year if she was running and turned. She has messed once while walking, and now doesnt always come up the stairs at night, if she does, she stops 4 or 5 times. She has arthritis in her elbows so couldnt use wheels if it came to it.

Ive always said if this or the arthritis puts her in as much pain as im in, I would let her go as it wouldnt be fair. Ive got her on suppliments but she wants to play more in this nice weather, so hurts more. Shes 10 next month

Celeste posted the link above for me previously. Some are natural obviously & may be worth a try but as far as I could find out re aminocaproic acid (EACA) and n-acetylcysteine (NAC) there is no proven studies that they work & neither appeared to be licensed either here or in the States as far as local chemists & their suppliers could ascertain.

I found Gsdfans posts here helpful when Joyce was first diagnosed http://www.rykat.org/forums/index.php?show...90&start=90

There's a video on CDRM here that might be of interest

http://www.vetstoria.co.uk/templates/cdrm_...-familypet.html

and if Kazz hasn't already sent you it (she sent it to me) a forum that might be of interest here http://www.handicappedpet.net/helppets

Best of luck in your fight

Edited by Ian

• 1 month later...

I took her to the vets today, shes lost some hair on the sides of her back feet. Shes falling over a fair bit. he says shes lost muscle in her back legs too. He said to think about boots, to get her used to them for when she will need them :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...