UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Renal Failure In Dogs...please Help

Ellapeptic

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all for your kind words. Felling brave so I'll say what happened.

We finally decided we really weren;t happy with our vet and took him elsewhere on Tuesday night, and saw a fantastic guy, who gave us a lot of hope and said that he didn't feel our other vets had done things right either, We went home with him, due to take him back in the morning to begin treatment, he was breathing a bit funny and he said to cal overnight if we were worried, but he didn't want to keep him in as he'd be all alone. His brething got a little maybe a little bit more strained towards the morning but we thought we'd wait until he was going in at 9 as we didn't want to disturb him. We were up during the night regularly cuddling him, and our other dog curled up close to him throughout. My partner got up in the morning, gave him a cuddle and went and got dressed and came back to take him to the car -and he was gone. We thought we felt a heartbeat and rushed him to the vets incase but it was just wishful thinking, so we bought him home so our other dog could see he body and say goodbye as we were told it would help him understand, then took him to my partners parents garden (we haven't got one at the mo) and buried him in the spot where my partner does the BBQ's in Summer so he's always close.

I'm really struggling to cope and feel so heartbroken, being at home without himfeels awful and walking our other dog alone is so hard - I hope things

get easier in time. I didn't realise just how much of our daily routine revolved around the boys, doing things in a different order feels strange,and the past few weeks had revolved around him 24/7. I'm worried about our other boy, I don't think he really understands. I'm glad it's raining here, as hopefully it's washed his scent away, it must be confusing for our other boy when we walk him and he keeps looking for him, but then so do I.

I'll never know if we made all the right choices, maybe we should have taken him back during the night, we should definately have followed our instincts about the vet. But I would have been heartbroken if he'd died alone at the vets and am comforted by the fact he went at home, on his own bed with us He passed away a few minutes before he was due to go to the vets to be put on a drip - I like to think he held it together through the night so he could be with us, then choose to go before he had to continue his struggle - maybe he'd just had enough and wanted to be at peace.

I keep thinking I should be feeling okay and everyone must think I'm nuts as he was "just a dog", but I don't think I've ever been so heartbroken over a human, he was so special and I miss him so much

Thank you for sharing :GroupHug: For what it's worth, I think you did what you felt was right and that's all any of us can do. Your boy knew the time was right for him and you can take comfort that he was at home. It sounded so peaceful.

You won't get anyone here saying that he was 'just a dog', you're with people who understand. We all know the heartbreak you'll be feeling so our hearts go out to you and your family. You now have to do whatever you feel is right. For me, that gaping hole in my life needed filling with another needy hound fairly quickly but I know that not everybody feels that way. The routine of having three dogs then two was too difficult for me. I needed to give love to a poor lost soul, as much for me as for them.

Whatever you choose to do, it's not wrong :GroupHug: