UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Pancreatic Insufficiency

Mrs Mop

This has come from a friend who I have know for quite some years. Please can someone give help and advice.

Mum’s dog Meggie was recently diagnosed with this and is now on medication for life. The pancreatic enzyme is the only medication she can take. Not all dogs respond to it, but luckily she is. However, the medication she is taking is making her stink and apparently it’s so unbearable she has to spend most of her time outside which is not very nice. Although she likes to be outside, mum doesn’t want to her to live out there permanently! The vet hasn’t got much experience of the disease and has no idea why she smells and what to do about it. Anyone have any experience of this?

Forgot to say, Meggie is a Rough Collie about 3 years old. :flowers:

• 5 weeks later...
The vet hasn’t got much experience of the disease and has no idea why she smells and what to do about it. Anyone have any experience of this?

A long time to wait for a reply, but a collie cross my daughter used to borrow to run in agility has EPI and is on Pancrex powder.

The powder stinks and it makes her breath smell the same, that's all. Just something you have to put up with, I think.

On the positive side, she started serious competition at the age of 7 and was 12 when she retired. She was still able to jump but she was going a bit deaf and we weren't sure her sight was too great so decided it was probably best particularly as my daughter didn't have the time to keep her fit for competition.

Pam

• 1 month later...

Sorry this is a really really really late reply.

Anyway I've two dogs with EPI and they are on pancreatin, enzymes that you get for humans in Holland and Barrett.

I've not noticed that they smell excessively compared to the rest of the horde, apart from their farts which are truly truly appalling.

Is it possibly an interaction between the enzymes and her food?

My lot started out on tryplase and the advice was always to sprinkle the powder on the food and add water if necesary as the powder can be harsh on some dogs mouths.

• 2 months later...

My old boy was on enzymes for 6 years, the vet gave him human ones as they are cheaper than the animal ones. He did smell though, his head smelt like cat wee ( not putting to fine a point on it) and his breath was awful. But we got used to it, the plug in air freshners are a life saver!!! As he got older his coat was very dry and he began to go bald around his neck, his coat felt greasy there and was indeed very smelly. Perhaps its an individual thing... wish I had the smell back tho :mecry: cos I miss him