UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Senile Dog

Cathy

My 10 1/2 old Labrador has started acting strangely at night, pacing and digging and getting agitated. My Vet thinks it may be that he is getting senile and has put him on Clomicalm. He is showing a slight improvement but still waking and pacing in the early hours. Has anyone had experience of this ? If so I would be grateful to hear from you.

Hi Cathy! My oldie does this too, and has been doing so for a year or more. Unfortunately it may be a case of just getting used to it. Hopefully someone else may come along with better words of advice, but Ive never found a miracle cure, and Im used to it now, but havent had a goods nights sleep in a very long time. :( I do hope your lab has some improvement. :flowers:

Hi Mrs Mopp No he doesn't have arthritis, vet said he is very fit very athletic not at all over weight. During the day he is always on the go playing with his ball etc and keen to go out walking, the problem is he seems to want to stay awake and have company all night. I have another younger Lab who has hip dysplasia and he the poor thing gets a bit perplexed about the nightly goings on.

Sally my ancient (16 1/2) RW x does it as well, she also starts barking at nothing and will not stop. I found the DAP diffuser to be a great help with her.

Thanks for that I hadn't heard of these diffusers, I will get one and give it a try hopefully it will help my boy, glad it's helped your Sally.

I had a border terrier type bitch (stray pup) who started acting strangely at 16 yrs old, she too was extremely fit and healthy. vet tried a medication that increases blood flow to the brain(can't remember what it was called), but it made her worse, also tried calmers but she was better on nothing at all, and we lived with it.

You make allowances for them and adjust life to suit them. toileting accidents were dealt with quietly so she wouldn't be upset, and in her own little world she was the same happy lass she had always been. We couldnt let her off the lead in case she got lost. She did a lot of pacing and circling and got very confused and upset with sudden changes to her routine or the home. She lived till she was 17 1/2 and it was likely that it was her old age rather than the dementia.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a update on my 'senile dog', he is much better not digging or pacing at night. I got a DAP diffuser as Egar suggested and it has been a great help, both of my dogs are much more relaxed. The other dog used to be terrified of thunder so I was amazed yesterday when we had a roll of thunder and he just lay in his bed and didn't react at all. So thanks to everyone for their comments, and fingers crossed my Boy will stay in a happy state.

Special thanks to Egar.