UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

People That Just Show Up At Xmas Expecting A Gift

has anyone else had this happen to them , a few years ago when Mark and I began to notice that there were friends and family that only took an intrest in us on the run up to xmas

now part of this was my fault , I quite like giving people things and I always try to give them nice personal things ( not always madly expensive ) but often very unusual and special to them

now I don't ever give just to recive but we did half get some shite back, picked up at the shell garage on route type shite with no thought , love or care and it was just such a waste as I was always down the charity shop donating it on on January ( god knows if they were able to shift some of it )

sooooo a few years back I did not buy them all lovely special nice pressies, instead I brought them all gifts via oxfams unwrapped scheme ( where you buy a item and oxfam give it someone in the developing world ) and the looks on some faces did indeed make my xmas

then the next year we told them that we were not doing xmas at all and not to buy us anything , a few people did and I had to stand there and thank them and then tell them there really was nothing from me in return ( not even a Goat for an african village )

my life is so much easier now

Sam "bah humbug" squirrel

I don't have people who only come round at Christmas and expect a present. That might be because it isn't worth being mugged by Mona, gassed by Roar-ee and spending an hour getting the dog hairs off their Christmas sweater?

I do get given lots of things that are so totally not me. Things that people can't possibly have thought about for a second, for example leather stuff and Loreal :wacko: These things also end up in the charity shop - the local RSPCA one. At least then animals get something back for it.

Edited by Abigailj

Even when I did have friends/family close by who bought me pressies, they were usually ill thought out and not what I would have wanted. If asked I used to request money or else vouchers so I could get something I wanted and not yet another something I didn't like or wouldn't use.

I am not buying any presents this year, apart from possibly for my baby niece (well my cousin's baby, but I think of my cousin as a sister so call her my niece) :wacko:

I would rather that those who were going to buy me a pressie went and bought themselves something nice with the money instead, or else save their money rather than waste it on something which would end up on eBay in January.

Bah humbug!

• 2 weeks later...

I dont get many visitors all year, so less at xmas lol

I give money to my sons, mum and best friend, thats it. I dont buy for others, as id have no idea what to get them. Id hate them to hate it.

Bah humbug!

Edited by Jazz