UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Can I Just Teleport To January 1st, Please?

ZiggysMum

I can't afford Christmas, I love my daughter but it's presents from me, presents from santa, no slack in the credit card andI hate the pressure to buy buy buy and have a perfect 'Delia Christmas' with all the everythings.. and New Year is not much fun to those of us single 40 somethings. So I vote for just skipping the whole damn thing and getting to the bit where I can heave a sigh of relief til next, ooh, say September when the shops start playing Slade again.

Bah humbug indeed. :angry:

I hear you!! I too would LOVE to go to bed and wake up in January, but unfortunately we have to plod on for others, our kids. :GroupHug:

This year will be an absolute killer, without Mum, but Katie is 7 and we HAVE to make it good for her, or Mum would be haunting us! as she lived for my daughter :wub:

I do hope things get better for you, I really do, its a hard time for a lot of people at the moment isn't it :( heres to happier times ahead for everyone :GroupHug:

I can't afford Christmas, I love my daughter but it's presents from me, presents from santa, no slack in the credit card andI hate the pressure to buy buy buy and have a perfect 'Delia Christmas' with all the everythings.. and New Year is not much fun to those of us single 40 somethings. So I vote for just skipping the whole damn thing and getting to the bit where I can heave a sigh of relief til next, ooh, say September when the shops start playing Slade again.

Bah humbug indeed. :angry:

Over the last few years I have turned into a Bah Humbug type of girl, mainly because my Christmas consists of being given a list of things that my family WANT and then me having to go and get them. No thought or anything allowed. However, each year I buy/make something that I think they would "like" and this nearly keeps me sane!

I am really sad to read that you can' afford Christmas. Christmas isn't about the brightest, shiniest, most expensive thing. It's about spending time with people that you want to and having some "memory" making time.

As a kid, we didn't have heaps of money, so Santa brought a few gifts in the stocking, a main present (i.e. a Sindy doll) and a present to the family which was likely to be something that we could all play/use on Christmas day and afterwards.

If you look on moneysavingexpert.com you'll see many ideas of how to have a "wow" Christmas without the cost.

Don't let cost be the ruin of Christmas, it's so not worth that hassle!!

I don't know where you are, but could you not get a few singles together for a bring a dish and bottle for a fun night in???

or arrange a nice lunch out on New Years day rather then worrying about New Years Eve.....

xxx

Edited by murtle

When the boys were little we couldn't afford expensive presents for them, they got a main pressent, which wasn't that expensive, and lots of smaller ones. They did get a decent present for their birthdays when money didn't have to go as far.

Christmas was always a family affair because we didn't have much money and although we have had several deaths at Christmas in the past, we have a lot of very good memories.

Last Christmas was my first without Bill and I was dreading it but several people that were on their own were all talking on Lurcher Link and it really helped me to the extent I enjoyed Christmas Day last year.

I don't do Christmas. I don't believe in it so I refuse to celebrate it for the sake of my children.

I explained to them why and they seem to have understood.

We usually make most of the time and do things together, which I find much more important than exchanging expensive presents.

I have no money either & not likely to have ..a couple of years ago i did shoe boxes for the Romanian children ..i loved doing it with little things in a shoe box which the kids would really appreciate ..not like our kids ,i just want to sit in front of my fire with the dogs & a glass of Irish Cream ,beam me over to Jan :ohmy: NO i forgot it's the Daughter's 18th birthday ..beam me to Feb :laugh:

I have no money either & not likely to have ..a couple of years ago i did shoe boxes for the Romanian children ..i loved doing it with little things in a shoe box which the kids would really appreciate ..,
That's it exactly .....

Christmas should be about GIVING not receiving, so therefore it should not be about what people want, it should be about what you can give them. IMHO that should be your time, company and a little gift to say you care. :GroupHug: :flowers: Have a great Christmas everyone :wink: