UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Anybody Any Experience With Incontinent Breeding Bitches

akitas

I was told when a bitch is already slightly incontinent from a lot of breeding that spaying might make it worse...

Saying that, the bitch in question is not incontinent in the sense of having no bladder control, but rather needing a wee more often.

Is there anybody having experience with something like this. Are there any natural remedies to help. And is a spaying still adviceable (sp)?

Thanks for your help.

Hiya, don't know the exact answer to you question but can tell you our experience with Misty who has slight incontinence in that she leaks when laying down. She came into rescue with her brother at 5 months, they had been in kennels all their lives. Her bother was rehomed first and she came to us as a foster (as did 4 of our 6!!). Anyway, housetraining her was a nightmare, she knew when to go and where, would sometimes ask to go out but would still poo & wee in the house. She was very underweight (even now at nearly 4 she still only looks about 6 months) so with the advice of the vet we let her have a first season then she was spayed at just over 12 months old. We are sure that the spaying didn't make her incontinent as she is no worse but she is on Propalin twice daily (4 drops am & pm) and this keeps it under control. Saying that, she will still have accidents in the house and we think this is more of a behaviour than medical BUT she still does the "need to go NOW, whoops" bit.

We have 3 girls and 3 boys, all neutered, and apart from Misty the others are fine with their "lady bits". I think that someone who is considering spaying a bitch and worried about the incontinence risk needs to weigh it up with the chance of her developing pyometra, that's the only way we did it and Pingu had a goldie in the past who developed it and had to have an emergency spay (she was fine afterwards).

Ok, have waffled on enough ..... :wacko:

Hiya, don't know the exact answer to you question but can tell you our experience with Misty who has slight incontinence in that she leaks when laying down. She came into rescue with her brother at 5 months, they had been in kennels all their lives. Her bother was rehomed first and she came to us as a foster (as did 4 of our 6!!). Anyway, housetraining her was a nightmare, she knew when to go and where, would sometimes ask to go out but would still poo & wee in the house. She was very underweight (even now at nearly 4 she still only looks about 6 months) so with the advice of the vet we let her have a first season then she was spayed at just over 12 months old. We are sure that the spaying didn't make her incontinent as she is no worse but she is on Propalin twice daily (4 drops am & pm) and this keeps it under control. Saying that, she will still have accidents in the house and we think this is more of a behaviour than medical BUT she still does the "need to go NOW, whoops" bit.

We have 3 girls and 3 boys, all neutered, and apart from Misty the others are fine with their "lady bits". I think that someone who is considering spaying a bitch and worried about the incontinence risk needs to weigh it up with the chance of her developing pyometra, that's the only way we did it and Pingu had a goldie in the past who developed it and had to have an emergency spay (she was fine afterwards).

Ok, have waffled on enough ..... :wacko:

bobbie - Meg has that - but it's caused not from spaying or behaviour but from a malformed bladder - only diagnoseable from X rays. Might be worth a look? She's been operated on by RCVS but as the opening to her bladder doesn't close she still leaks, but it's managed by diet control and frequent loo breaks!

Thanks for your answers.

Well, I am not sure she is actually incontinent. She doesn't "leak" as such, just needs to go out more often, but that might have been down to nervousness and anxiety.

From observation it seems that she rather marks than wees out of loss of bladder control.

Nevertheless she gets CSJ "Hold it", can't harm, can it ;-)

And she is spayed now.

Thanks for your answers.

Well, I am not sure she is actually incontinent. She doesn't "leak" as such, just needs to go out more often, but that might have been down to nervousness and anxiety.

From observation it seems that she rather marks than wees out of loss of bladder control.

Nevertheless she gets CSJ "Hold it", can't harm, can it ;-)

And she is spayed now.

That's Meg's symptoms to a "T". :unsure:

It was pointed out first by her agility trainer who thought she had cystitis - to me it was normal as I was used to Meg weeing lots and I didn't notice her being any different to any other dog...