UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Alternative Plans For December 25th

Karen

I think the in-laws wanted us to come to theirs this year, which I will do if OH wants, but to be honest, I want to spend Christmas in my own home and not have to travel and make small talk and have to listen to his mum chat all day :rolleyes: . In an ideal world we'd spend christmas with my mum and with sister to watch my neice opening her pressies, but as they're in Sydney that's not going to happen and mum doesn't want to "do" christmas this year which I'm fine with. Plus last year I had food-poisoning and quite enjoyed the peace and quiet that gave me....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't go. Put your foot down and say sod it. As I've got my own way over Christmas Day and don't have to spend it with Ians family, I am now expected to be a good girl and spend Boxing Day with Ians mum, dad, nan and brothers. I'd rather poke myself in the eyes repeatedly with a fork than spend a day with those spiteful, rude and manipulative people. Merry hell will break lose over my 'unreasonableness', I will get lectured to death by Ian but I am not going. We've both spent too many Christmasses doing the things we don't want to do so we said this year we wouldn't but Ian is waivering because he doesn't want to upset his family.

I've put my foot down a little bit :wink: Previous years have involved a 4 day stay at mum's and Christmas Day with just OH, me and her - which was very, very hard work. This year at least it's just Christmas Day and Boxing Day, and some other of mum's friends are joining us for the meal so that will help break the tension a little bit.

Next year, when our kitchen is finished etc, then I'm doing Christmas at our place. She can come, or not, but it'll be run the way we want it to be, rather than on her timetable.

This year I am staying at mine. Ellie (one-eyed-dog) is coming up on Xmas Eve with Lottie. We are going to do a massive long walk in the morning, then go horse riding (weather depending of course) then another long walk to wear out the mutts! And I will be making a lovely huge selection of Mexican food to stuff ourselves with! :biggrin:

I like giving people pressies but then that applies all year round, not just Christmas.

I get annoyed at people saying I shouldn't be on my own "because it's Christmas" - if they're that worried about me being on my own what about the other 364/5 days of the year???

When I kicked the toyboy out a few years ago in mid-December I actually didn't tell anyone until the New Year because I couldn't bear the thought of all the phone calls asking if I was ok being on my own... I LIKE BEING ON MY OWN (well, as long as there are some doglets around).

Already had a few "what are you doing for Christmas" - but they are mainly from nice people who then carry on to say "because you are welcome to call round to us if you want to" - no pressure.... then there is someone else who keeps asking and saying if we are both on our own we could cook and spend the day together - NOOOOOOOOOO - I'm going to have to hide the car round the corner and pretend I'm out!!!!

I get annoyed at people saying I shouldn't be on my own "because it's Christmas" - if they're that worried about me being on my own what about the other 364/5 days of the year???

:laugh: My mum said the same thing...she was worried that if my friend for some reason didn't come for Xmas I'd be alone...didn't want to tell her that the thought of spending it entirely alone with just the dogs, cats and my beautiful horse to pamper was extreamly appealing!!!!! I 'promised' I'd tell her if Ellie had to cancel...obviously I have absolutely no intention of doing so!!! :wink:

If had an entirely free choice, I'd be booked into a cottage on a beach somewhere and on Christmas Day, I'd walk the dog for hours, come home and eat (anything), and settle down in front of the fire with a book and a glass of wine. And maybe a huge box of chocolates. My OH would be allowed to be there if he kept quiet. :biggrin:

All over the UK there will be single people imagining everyone else having this amazing family day. Much of it is a myth. I honestly think that unless you have small children, it's just a big commercial enterprise. I know families (mine included no doubt) where everyone thinks that everyone else expects them all to be there sharing the fun, and the tv remote, when in fact, it's a test of endurance much of the time. :laugh:

I love my children, but I don't love Christmas Day.

Oh no. Ellie will NOT be cancelling. Jackie and I decided not to buy each other presents this Xmas. Seem to have got the dogs rather alot of stuff though :rolleyes:

I am really looking forward to it.

We usually do New Year and just and drink and moan about the whole thing. Jacky says she likes it cos I'm as miserable as her about it.

It's my 1st Xmas with potty Lottie so that will be special. Eventful as well as the little witch is bound to cause some strife at some point :wacko:

Should be good.

I got Lottie an Xmas collar from Anna at Grey hound Gap to wear all December.

This will be my OH's first chrismas day without his son and Harry has now left for the Bridge so theres a little bit of a cloud over our xmas.

The OH's family is going to his sisters and will be very busy and they have a 1yr old so I wont be going because Mich cant.

I think on the 25th I will wait till the parents go to church and have a snuggle in bed with Mich till lunch and when they get back we will have a nice long walk and then some dinner followed by ferrets and bunnies play time (not at the same time!) before snuggling up with Mich for the evening.

However on Boxing day Myself AND Mich have been invited to the OH's parents for a second xmas day and the OH's 3yr old will also be with us so that I am looking forward to because I luv them all to bits! :happy:

We will still be in our temporary accommodation (with my aunt and uncle) whilst building work is going on at our house. I am right fed up about it as I normally love Christmas but only when I can spend it in my own home, doing what I want.

My aunt and uncle are great and have made us so very welcome but they don't have Christmas lunch until Boxing day when their daughters come. I like both my cousins but we are poles apart and from what I have heard about him I am fairly sure that the partner of one of them will set my teeth on edge. And being here just isn't the same as being at home :(

I am becoming more tempted by my friends seaside static caravan, as I know she won't mind us using it. Altho the site is closed and the water has been drained the site owner is OK about day visits. The electric is on and so we will have heat and light. There are public loos a couple of minutes walk away. I have thought of getting food that can be cooked/heated up in the microwave and just having a stress free day down there and maybe doing it again on Boxing day :unsure:

What I really really want tho is just to be back at home.

Marion

Nice idea MrsMop,I'll be on--line anyway so will be glad to pop in.Luckily my friends have long stopped inviting me for the day assuming I'm missing out on something :rolleyes: Reckon they realise now that a day on the beach with my dogs is just the most perfect way for me to celebrate any time of the year :biggrin:

Edited by zico's mum