UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Alternative Plans For December 25th

Karen

Something similar to Helly!

Un freezing hose pipes, picking up poo, doing hundreds of piles of washing, washing hundreds of bowls up. Then walking 50 odd dogs, then our own dogs. But we do go to batleys before xmas and have a huge sack of dog toys so there will be much squeeking.

After that fun-filled day we might consider having christmas.... :unsure:

Im quite scared though about having a 'normal' christmas. Boxing day *may* be spent with partners family which dont really have a dog and do things like eat a cooked dinner, play board games and celebrate christmas.

Christmas, without dogs? :unsure:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd really like to spend the day with the dogs, rabbits and OH, but I'm finding it difficult to be brave enough to tell my parents!

thats another thing that makes me dislike Christmas, all the pressure on people to do what they think they should be doing or what others want them to do , all the hurt feelings when people don't do every thing that is expected of them and guilt trips galore

Karen do want you want , I don't see why anyone should feel they HAVE to do any thing just because the date is December 25th

I shall be having a luffly big brekkie (which I will share with the dogs), giving them their presents (cue lots of squeaking and doing the 'wall of death' around the living room) then wrapping up warm and going out for a nice walk, then coming home and slobbing about watching shite on telly, then we will have a nice roast dinner each (me and the dogs that is) and slobbing out again :biggrin:

we usually avoid xmas by taking the caravan off to somewhere remote like Dartmoor,just me,hubby and the dogs. But this year we have been blackmailed into going round to my daughters on xmas day. So we will watch the everyone open their presents,eat lunch and creep back home to relax with lots of nice things to eat for us and the dogs,a good drink,a good fire and watch the tv. Because we are home for the whole holiday this year i have room for a xmas girlie (oldie?) foster if anyone needs one to be spoiled. x

The last few years we've spent Christmas day at home just us and our furry family as unstressed as possible. :biggrin:

We start the day with homemade bucks fizz, then a nice brekfast, the dogs get their presents to open, doesn't matter what it is, they love unwrapping things :laugh: . They get a long walk while people are having lunch, we have whatever we fancy for a meal (not decided yet) and we just relax.

Unfortunately this year we have said that we'll go down and spend the day with Ray's parents :( , but at least we'll have the rest of the break to ourselves

My dream Christmas would involve me, OH, Riley and the cats, long walks on Wimbledon Common, lots of champagne, fabulous food and time to just 'be'.

Instead it will involve a 2 hour drive to my mum's, a stressful 'family' meal, and lots of tongue biting in order to keep the peace :mecry: .

I wish I could look forward to Christmas, had the same sense of joy of being with family that many other people get etc.

I still don't know what sort of Christmas I will be having :unsure:

Last year, due to my son being away working on the QE2, it was just my mother & me at Christmas. She wasn't well enough to come to my house, so I cooked dinner & took it to hers. I did a Nut Roast with roast potatoes, veg & gravy, followed by home made Christmas Pudding. I had to leave my dogs home alone from about 11:30 am until about 5:30 pm because they don't get on with Mum's Yorkie :(. Mum did nothing but moan the entire time I was there, she criticised all the rest of the family, the meal, the neighbours, everything & anything was moaned about.

Anyway, this year, she has been invited to my niece's in Ireland for Christmas. My niece has 4 children and my sister & her husband will be there as well. It will be a lovely family Christmas that Mum would really enjoy. She says she's not going!

My son is now home from his travels but his girlfriend is in Hungary with her family. They have agreed to each spend Christmas with their families but I know they want to be together, however, I can't stand another Christmas alone with Mum.

I told him that if Mum goes to Ireland, I have no objection to him going to Hungary and leaving me on my own. The prospect of a Christmas alone with the doglets is rather pleasant. I would love to have a Christmas with no pressure, no stress, just me & my doglets. My son knows he is more than welcome to spend Christmas with me, whether my Mum is here or not, but I know that he wants to be with his girlfriend.

My sister is coming next week for her annual visit, so I'm hoping that she can talk Mum into going to Ireland. I know she would enjoy it there with all the children, and at the age of 86, it could be her last Christmas, so it would be lovely for her to have a good one.

Hopefully, I will know more after my sister's visit :unsure:

I would really love to just disappear to a beach with the dogs and be out of it for the day. Playing Happy Families is not a game I wish to take any part in.

Unfortunately my family don't get what's really important about Christmas - i.e. it being a special day and celebrating how much you care about each other. Instead it has to be the usual protocol of doing what the script says regardless of whether or not you actually enjoy that.

Me and dogs and beach I think, back in time to say Christmas night nights to the gee-gees and kit cats.

My dream Christmas would involve me, OH, Riley and the cats, long walks on Wimbledon Common, lots of champagne, fabulous food and time to just 'be'.

Instead it will involve a 2 hour drive to my mum's, a stressful 'family' meal, and lots of tongue biting in order to keep the peace :mecry: .

I wish I could look forward to Christmas, had the same sense of joy of being with family that many other people get etc.

Don't go. Put your foot down and say sod it. As I've got my own way over Christmas Day and don't have to spend it with Ians family, I am now expected to be a good girl and spend Boxing Day with Ians mum, dad, nan and brothers. I'd rather poke myself in the eyes repeatedly with a fork than spend a day with those spiteful, rude and manipulative people. Merry hell will break lose over my 'unreasonableness', I will get lectured to death by Ian but I am not going. We've both spent too many Christmasses doing the things we don't want to do so we said this year we wouldn't but Ian is waivering because he doesn't want to upset his family.

Haven't decided yet if we will have a 'family meal' or not, but if we do, then my dogs and my Mum's will all be present (much to the annoyance of the cats).

However, I get a sneaking feeling that my Mum would actually quite like to have a quiet Christmas at home with her own cat for a change (Poor Blott always gets left behind if she goes out for the day, you can't really take a cat with you can you), so what we might do is all meet up for a festive walk in the morning then go home and have the rest of the day just us...