UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Itchy, Itchy, Scratch, Scratch!

JACKYSIAN

Tiz is having a horrible time at the moment, she is soooooo scratchy!! It's driving her (and me ) nuts! Its definatley not fleas, and she doesn't have a rash on her belly. She is an allergic dog so I don't use any un-natural products on the floors or rugs as this does give her a rash, but this is something new!

Can anyone suggest any natural she can take to help her? She feels hot to touch, but is eating and exercising as usual. I'm reluctant to take her to the vets because I know they'll offer a chemical solution and I'd prefer to try something natural to start with. :flowers:

Jacky every October Archie gets itchy like this. We have tried various things but am afraid the only thing that works is prednicare. If you find anything natural that solves the problem please let me know!

Marion

Oh that's interesting, I wonder if its something in the change of weather! :unsure:

Its definately not anything bug like! I make sure the dogs blankets are washed every other day without washing powder. It's just odd that she has no rash or dry skin. She had her anal glands cleared the other day cos that makes her sensitive sometimes so it can't be that. She's spending most of her walks rolling around on the grass! She nearly fell off the cliff yesterday cos she didn't look where she was rolling!!! :ohmy:

i'd say give her a hug from us but that would make her worse :rolleyes:

Oh she'll take a cuddle anyday!! She comes for cuddles then squirms around when I scratch her!! I can only pet her head without her worming around!! :laugh:

Have you tired any of the Bob Grass products for her? Never used them before but have seen them recommended several times before for skin problems.

No not tried anything yet, I'll email them cos she doesn't need anything to put on her skin cos it's not irriatated but those blood tablets might help. Thanks :flowers:

That's interesting, Merlin went through a very itchy stage a couple of weeks ago, actually chewed himself raw with no signs of any infestation.

I bathed him in Tea Tree shampoo and it seems to have stopped it.

Wonder if it is something to do with the time of year

Does seem to be a theme doesn't there! :unsure: I try to avoid bathing Tiz only because she was sprayed with a pressure hose by her first owner to stop her barking (try walking her and spending time with her you f*cking knob...sorry!!!!) so she really goes into trauma anywhere near water, I've had her 5 years and its taken 3 years to get her to paddle in the sea. :mecry:

Might be worth rubbing some diluted tea-tree oil over her though?

I have a tea tree stpray which you can rub into their fur which I think soothes itching (though I'm not sureu how much reumains, after they've spent 10 minutes wiping themselves on th furniture :rolleyes: )

Interestingly, mine are both very itchy at the mo as well. They did have fleas, but I'm sure they are gone now (though it was hard enough to get rid of) but this seems to be just generally itchiness. Maybe the odd weather this summer has made certain grasses flower again or something like that?

• 4 months later...

Just thought I'd update incase anyone is interested, I've had Tiz on a new supplement and so far it's been amazing! Funnily enough I bought it on the off chance because I was buying some supplements for myself and it's great!

The company is Heathydirect, Linky . Have a look out for vouchers for discounts or offers because I got buy one get one free on it! I'm extreamly impressed with it and she eats the tablets no problem.

I've also now ordered the immune system one for Cromwell and the joint supplements for Cooper!! :biggrin:

Thanks for the linky Jacky :flowers:

Archie has had an episode of itchiness before Christmas whilst we were living at my aunt and uncle's and had to see the vet. He was just starting itching again when we moved home and it within a couple of days he settled down. However I am going to get him some of those tablets :)

Marion

I've heard of dogs getting rashes when the grass starts growing again - my local council has started cutting the grass again...

My Amber had itchy skin but as she had skin cancer, she had to be on steroids, but I did also use as much natural stuff as possible - I used aloe vera gel from Holland Barratt http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/pro...ail.asp?pid=515 and rubbed that into her skin and gave her evening primrose oil capsules which is really good for the skin. You can also get aloe vera juice drink which can be added to their dinner.

Edited by Rudi