UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dog Borstal - What Did You Think?

Ian

I missed it - what did he say?

he just mentioned about x racing greys that it can be difficult putting them from kennels stright in to a in a home life,

and being around different breeds of dogs can be a problem as they've never seen different breeds before,

which can be true for some greys,

what wasnt mentioned about the owner of the grey was she is Debbie from Greyhound For You,

so has lots of experance with the breed, and rescue,

http://www.greyhounds4u.co.uk/index.html

The AMbull, i think it was the right choice, there was no one there to help her,

the dog was getting unpradictabul, and it went to bite that assessor for nothing,

a dog like that could end up turning out to be a dangerous dog,

and with an owner whos fightend of it aswell it dosent bear to think of what life that dog could have ended up with,

if she had have kept him.

I saw the very end of it, I would like to Mason on this, I can not talk to people with other dogs, and Mason being a big Rottie, don't get me wrong I can control him, but he does have a few creases that need ironing out, he has changed so much from when we first got him.

Just trying to find the email addy or number to get in touch.

I must admit I cried when I heard that Wilson was PTS. He was for starters a entire AB that was never shown the ropes and leadership a strong minded bull breed needs. :mecry: :mecry:

I know there goes on more behind the scenes that we see but lets be honest, a large male AB with a owner at the end of the lead that can't control him tries to bite the trainer and judge, don't you think there would have been damage done?

On the danger of being shouted down, the owner went to dog borstal to get confirmation for what she knew already, that she failed her dog and that there is no easy way out and especially not with her as handler. Yes in my eyes she was a wimpy owner as any bull breed owner will confirm, they are fantastic dogs but you have to be a firm and fair handler who won't put up with crap from your bull breed. Hence my favourite saying, they aren't everyones cup of tea

Run free Wilson :wub:

On the danger of being shouted down, the owner went to dog borstal to get confirmation for what she knew already, that she failed her dog and that there is no easy way out and especially not with her as handler. Yes in my eyes she was a wimpy owner as any bull breed owner will confirm, they are fantastic dogs but you have to be a firm and fair handler who won't put up with crap from your bull breed. Hence my favourite saying, they aren't everyones cup of tea

I don't know anything about Bullbreeds, but I think what you said Cindy applies to most dogs. How many dogs have they had there, from tiny to large, where the owner hadn't got a clue and screwed the dog up?

I think they waited too long to ask for help.

I suppose it is worse with "headstrong" dogs. But you need to show them the ropes, or they do what they want.

Run free Wilson, he was a gorgeous dog.

Wilsons passing did sadden me, I believe that his owner failed him completely, and guess who ends up paying the price,

poor old Wilson :(

Was he entire and would castration have helped agression if not.

My only experience of bull breeds is being slobbered over by one my frend had about 10 years ago and 'nudged' when I stopped paying her attention.

I have no experience of pointies so cannot comment on Roberts greyhound remarks.

Wilsons passing did sadden me, I believe that his owner failed him completely, and guess who ends up paying the price,

poor old Wilson :(

Was he entire and would castration have helped agression if not.

My only experience of bull breeds is being slobbered over by one my frend had about 10 years ago and 'nudged' when I stopped paying her attention.

I have no experience of pointies so cannot comment on Roberts greyhound remarks.

I was upset by Wilson's fate, at the start of the show they said he was just 18 months old and he did not look as though he had been castrated to me.

I understood his owner's dilemma, she had two small children at home but she created the problem herself. She got Wilson as a puppy and had clearly done nothing to train him from the beginning.

I would have liked to see more of the training footage with Wilson and Casper. I thought Rob's comment abut greys not knowing other breeds while racing was fair and true. A lot of it has to do with their own insecurities as well though. My boy is great with all sizes of dogs but he is very confident and self-assured. I know a number of groos who have a simiar reaction to dogs and it takes time to overcome their fears.

Its also very hard to overcome your own nerves and allow a slack lead when you are concerned about how they will react to another dog because they are powerful hunting dogs. And they pick up on your nerves incredibly quickly.

It took me a while to relax enough not to reel Mason in tight whenever a small dog came up, there's a chihuahua in our park who is always offlead with a small squeaky toy in its mouth and I still instinctively pull him up whever it comes close - to be fair though its a huge temptation for even the most tolerant greyhound, is it a dog, is it a toy? Squeak squeak!

Marie

Re. Wilson, I agree with above that people as weak/inexperienced as this lady should not be allowed such dogs/breeds. If a breeder sold the dog to her, bad on them really.If it was a rescue, same goes there. There should be responsibility in (re)homing such breeds and the people who home them know this best.

Re Caspar, as a fresh grey admirer and owner, I felt that the test was fine but not realistic in the end. What did not make sense is that Debbie (an experienced grey owner) had not apparently picked up on the tight leash ossue which by the way is not jsut a greyhound thing but a more general dog training tip. I felt by the end of it that there was a part of the history behind Caspars problem we were missing and it was not in the programme. Gorgeous grey though...! :rolleyes:

I got into a rather heated "debate" about Wilson with my friend, imo the owner shoudn't have had that dog in the first place and he would have given me cause for concern round small children, but, she should have been given a fourth option, get a decent behaviorist who has experiance with aggression, and this is the bit that really pizzes me off, people are only to keen to spend, however much an AB cost these days, 400 500 quid perhaps, but ask them to shell out another couple of hundred to fix a problem that in all likely hood they have caused and suddenly they can't afford it :angry: :angry:

I also don't rate that trainer much, in one episode she had the dog owner chucking "training discs" at her dog to interupt unwanted behavior, thats not how those discs work.

All I saw in Wilson was a big daft galoot of a dog who was actually quite nervous, he was trying to climb up the back wall of the kennel to get away from the people for gods sake, he'd been given no guidlines as a youngster and he ended up dead because of it :mecry:

I have got into a mahoosive rant about Wilson elsewhere because asides from the fearful snap at the vet i didnt think his behaviour was at all aggressive.

That it was DANGEROUS, yes, it was purely becuase of his size and lack of training, but it wasnt intended to cause harm, his intentions were to grab attention because he was insecure.

Poor boy.

Re. Wilson, I agree with above that people as weak/inexperienced as this lady should not be allowed such dogs/breeds. If a breeder sold the dog to her, bad on them really.If it was a rescue, same goes there. There should be responsibility in (re)homing such breeds and the people who home them know this best.

Re Caspar, as a fresh grey admirer and owner, I felt that the test was fine but not realistic in the end. What did not make sense is that Debbie (an experienced grey owner) had not apparently picked up on the tight leash ossue which by the way is not jsut a greyhound thing but a more general dog training tip. I felt by the end of it that there was a part of the history behind Caspars problem we were missing and it was not in the programme. Gorgeous grey though...! :rolleyes:

Debbie's diary is hear if you want to read it.

http://www.greyhounds4u.co.uk/journals/ind...5-Debbies-Diary

Debbie's diary is hear if you want to read it.

http://www.greyhounds4u.co.uk/journals/ind...5-Debbies-Diary

Having read Debbie's diary I have much more insight into the training and its obvious Casper's problems are more serious than portrayed on the show. She should be commended for persevering with this handsome dog and working to give him a better life.

Good luck Debbie, I think Casper is a very lucky boy!

Marie