UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Acupuncture

cycas

Mollydog had her first acupuncture session today. Her leg is clearly now considerably sorer than it was: she spent a lot of time washing it, and didn't want to go out for a walk this evening.

The vet said this might happen, but has anyone else experienced this with their dogs? If your dog got worse, did things improve over the longer term?

Don't know,

when our penny had her's done, she slept the rest of the night, by next morning i could defiantly see a difference in her,

i think it depends on the dog and how bad the symptoms are,

with our penny she's not had acupuncture for a couple of months now, to see how long she could go between sessions,

as it was getting to be every month she had it done,

but at the moment were thinking of changing to a chiropractor,

as she saw a greyhound chiropractor over the weekend and her problems look like its just slipped disk's,

and stiffness.

I know when Gnasher started acupuncture the vet asked me to have three sessions before I made my mind up about whether to continue or not. He also said that some dogs can get worse initially but if they do that is actually quite a good sign that the acupuncture is stimulating the correct areas and should be able to bring about improvements. For each of those three initial sessions he was a bit better than he had been before.

We did have one session last year where he had not been too bad before the session and was definitely worse afterwards - I took him back for another session and that sorted him and thankfully that is the only time we have had that problem.

Hope Mollydog is better after her next session.

Well she had her second session today, and although it's hard to be certain, what with the mechanical stiffness and the corn and the mysterious embedded thing in her leg - I *think* that this time it helped.

She was flinging herself about like a mad thing this evening and definitely seemed less stiff in that leg. Of course, as our acupuncture vet said, the more she zooms about at top speed on the dratted thing, the more likely she is to make it worse! Still, the risk of that she reckoned was not so bad that she recommended stopping her if she was having fun, so looks like Mollydog will be zooming away for a while longer.