UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Nature's Menu

oscarsmum

It's a good food in my opinion :flowers: . Mine had it for a while when Naturediet was having a few supply issues but I didn't find it as good for them as Naturediet, so switched back.

Take a look at Naturediet too. Ours have the fish one currently but have had various ones in the past and I've been very pleased with how they've been on all of them :) I order direct in bulk each month but you can buy from petshops if you just wanted to buy a few to try Oscar with.

I tried my two on Natures menu (the pouches) and they loved it but it gave them both the squits, seriously bad! I switched them over the course of a week as well but they still had runny bums so I put them back on Naturediet. I also found Natures menu more expensive but I know a lot of people who do use it and recommend it :)

Of the people who use Naturediet, does anyone get it directly from them? I heard you could and it was cheaper but I've always been too lazy to phone them!

Also tried Forthglade, molly loved it, lenny wouldn't touch it. And that pets at home stuff, Wainwrights, same lovely effect as Natures menu!

ETA. mine both love the raw meat from Natures menu. I suppose if you don't want to give raw you could always cook it - not the tripe though!!!!

Edited by jezza

Of the people who use Naturediet, does anyone get it directly from them? I heard you could and it was cheaper but I've always been too lazy to phone them!

I've been buying Naturediet direct from them for years :) Very easy to just phone and order and then do a "repeat order" when our supplies start running low :flowers:

I'm not sure how it compares price wise with the pet shops (but I'm sure it's cheaper) but I prefer not to shop at places that sell animals if I can avoid it and the only local petshop that doesn't sell animals, also doesn't stock Naturediet.

I think Forthglade Natural menu is a bit cheaper than the others too. All three are good foods with decent ingredients.

My dogs love naturediet, nature's menu and natural menu very much, but I am mean (and lack storage space), so mine are mostly on the James Wellbeloved (we have the lamb & veg) , with the occasional meal of one of the Natury Foods now and then. They do like the JWB too, though I think they marginally prefer the wet stuff, that might be the novelty value.

We often have the naturediet dog treats. They are extremely popular and also smell much less hideous than most dog treats!

Thanks everyone :flowers:

I've written a list of those you all recommend. I'm going shopping tonight and will report back later. I can't wait to bin the Bakers. (he had a small amount this morning, but his lunchtime food i mixed with cooked rice and half an egg instead). after reading about it, it feels like i'd be poisoning him if i gave him any more :unsure: :ohmy:

Am just glad i've now been pointed in the right direction :)

Thanks everyone :flowers:

I've written a list of those you all recommend. I'm going shopping tonight and will report back later. I can't wait to bin the Bakers. (he had a small amount this morning, but his lunchtime food i mixed with cooked rice and half an egg instead). after reading about it, it feels like i'd be poisoning him if i gave him any more :unsure: :ohmy:

Am just glad i've now been pointed in the right direction :)

Don't feel too bad about feeding it, I used to feed it and only learnt about how crap it was by coming on forums like these :biggrin: mine are on Naturediet and Burns and they are so much healthier now.

A hello from bradford too :flowers: just noticed thats where you're from, I just work here though.

Edited by jezza

Don't feel too bad about feeding it, I used to feed it and only learnt about how crap it was by coming on forums like these

Me too - well not the dogs, the cats. Our poor cats used to be fed the most awful supermarket cack, then when I adopted a dog I did some research and realised where I was going wrong!

OK :biggrin:

We've got: James Wellbeloved Ocean White Fish & Kibble (Senior / Light), 4 x Fresh Meat NatureDiet (2 x sensitive gold with added herbs, 1 x original and 1 x chicken), a pack of "Sherley's" Glucosamine Treats and a pack of Nature's Menu Chicken Mini Treats.

I'm so giddy - I really hope he likes the new food. I'm sure he will - the NatureDiet stuff sounds really quite appetising :unsure: :biggrin:

The green lipped mussel extract is en-route, so I can hopefully get him started on that soon too.

I want to keep him on the same meat / dried food mix and plan to alternate the pedigree we have left with the new naturediet wet food until the pedigree has gone (4 tins left). The Bakers is going in the bin - not a morsel of that will ever pass his lips again!

One more question - re Schmakos - I think I know the answer, but what's your opinion on these as treats? He loves them, and we have run out at the moment and haven't re-stocked... are these as bad as the rest of the commercial stuff?

Thanks again everyone for your constructive comments and help - I really appreciate it. :flowers: I'll let you know what Oscar thinks tomorrow!!

Schmakos being made by pedigree are more than likely full of sugar and all sorts of crap, he should like those Natures menu treats as a replacement. If not, you could try and make your own treats, eg. liver cake usually goes down well. Don't know if you like cooking but I do and I like making all the treats from this site willows kitchen theres even some treats made using Naturediet :)

Edited by jezza

A hello from bradford too :flowers: just noticed thats where you're from, I just work here though.

Helloooo from Bradford :wavey: (I live in Bradford and work in Bingley...)

Schmakos being made by pedigree are more than likely full of sugar and all sorts of crap, he should like those Natures menu treats as a replacement. If not, you could try and make your own treats, eg. liver cake usually goes down well. Don't know if you like cooking but I do and I like making all the treats from this site willows kitchen theres even some treats made using Naturediet :)

Thought so :rolleyes: Oscar does LOVE his liver cake - I've got one more batch in the freezer, then will do another one (or maybe a sardine cake next time) - making a liver cake is always abit much like a hammer horror film in the kitchen for me :sick01: :laughingsmiley: He's got his natures menu treats to be enjoying till then....

Well he's had some of the kibble and the naturediet today. He seemed to enjoy both (the naturediet seemed to be a abit stickier than the pedigree he normally has, hence he took longer to lick it all off the bottom of his bowl, hence it made him eat a tiny bit slower, which can only be good too! )

Glad he liked his Naturediet today, mine love it (well except today when Molly refused point blank to touch her dinner - she can be a bit weird like that though!).

I know what you mean about the liver cake horror scene :laugh: even though I don't eat meat I've got quite a strong stomach so I don't mind making it, its the look of it blended which makes me shiver! I've never tried sardine cake but I might try it, they love tuna cake.