UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Rimadyl & Metacam

oscarsmum

Oscar went for his booster jab and annual health check yesterday

Good news - his heart is "brilliant for any dog, but especially for one of his age"!! (The vets words) He is generally in good health, and his weight is fine which I'm obviously chuffed about

Not so good news - the vet has suggested he start Rimadyl or Metacam. Basically, he has arthritis in all legs, but occasionally shows some weakness in his rear legs. It doesnt seem to affect his quality of life and as far as I'm aware he's not in pain, although sometimes you can see that he's a tiny bit unsteady on his rear end. This doesnt stop him from his normal walks / trots or leaping around like a loon when I get home.... The vet said if we did decide to go ahead, he'd do a blood test first to check for any kidney problems and then we would "see a difference" in days...

This would mean that Oscar would be on drugs for the rest of his life, something that I'm abit reluctant to commit to when, if it hadnt been for this check up, we would have all carried on as normal (but then, that's what checks are for I suppose).

I just want to do what's best for him obviously, but have heard some bad reports about Rimadyl in particular - your experiences of both these drugs would be welcome.

Also, it would appear that Oscar has broken a tooth - the vet said if he were a younger dog, he wouldnt hesitate to remove it, but considering Oscar's age, he's happy to monitor it for infection and as long as its not bothering him eating, etc then to leave it be...

Oscar is (allegedly :D ) around 16 years old now. He's happy and healthy - I just wish he could tell me if he is in pain and what he'd want to do...

(Sorry for the essay, especially after not being around lately...) - I just need some advice - Thanks fugees :flowers:

Some people use Metacam etc for some years without a problem. They can however cause complications in long term use - such as kidney damage hence why the vet wants to test.

It could be argued that at 16 his quality of life is more significant in Oscars case than the quantity as sadly he may not live long enough for such damage to occur regardless of whether he takes it or not.

If he's not in apparent pain or real difficulty however then you could try more natutal alternatives first - eg glucosamine, chrondroitin (cortaflex, synoquin etc are basically variants of these though some find the liquid forms work more quickly), fish oils, green lipped muscle are other alternatives. I think you perhaps need to discuss it with your vet but in your position I'd be interested to know whether they can offer any reason that you shouldn't try these alternatives.

Not sure whether you feed tinned or dry foods but some foods eg wagg control, Royal Canin contain glucosamine & chrondroitin, some foods contain fish oils etc.

His age may be against it but Hydrotherapy is something else that can help some as can massage. These sites may be of interest / help

http://www.jointcare.com/ http://www.petshealthcare.com/ http://www.k9hydrotherapy.co.uk/ http://www.animalmassageassociation.com/

Edited by Ian

Thanks Ian :flowers: for your informative reply - I'll definitely be looking into some of the alternative methods this week - I'd prefer something a little "gentler" if possible ... I'll speak to the vet about it too..

Oscar's food is pedigree senior (canned meat) mixed with bakers complete senior (dried biscuits). We give him one cod liver oil capsule per week and he has a can of sardines mixed in with his food once a week (for the oils and cos he luvs em!).

It may be an idea to get some Rimadyl tablets to keep in stock for when he is in pain - I know that Kath has a stock of various strengths for whenever Jasper is in pain with his elbow. She also gives him Synflex and green lipped mussel.

It may be an idea to swap his food though - Bakers complete isn't the best food in the world to be feeding them :flowers:

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: :GroupHug: for Oscar. I personnaly wouldnt put any dog on Rimadyl, Tasha has severe arthritis and was put on it, afetr one day she was pooing out lots of blood! :wacko: it was taking the lining of her stomach off..I think its a dangerous drug..look it up on the web :unsure:

Metacam was fine for her but I also thoroughly recommend Zubrin..it was wonderful for her :GroupHug: hope you find something suitable.

I was posting just the other day about this same dilemma - Mollydog has been recommended painkillers too, she's only 8. :mecry: (she isn't generally arthritic yet, she's got an old injury which has gone that way).

Our vet recommended a painkiller called Previcox which is supposed to be kinder on the stomach than Rimadyl or Metacam, and I've almost made up my mind that I'm going to start her on it next week. This was the thread, you might find some of the posts there useful: http://www.rykat.org/forums/index.php?show...amp;hl=previcox

If he's not on a glucosamine supplement, I'd definitely say try that first. It makes a huuuuuge difference to Mollydog. I've found Synflex, Naf Hiprite, and Cortaflex the most effective of the brands I've tried her on. (Incidentally, last time I mentioned this on here, I said I was going to try the Cortaflex powder, which is cheaper than the liquid: I can report that the powder does seem to work pretty well, as well as the liquid so far as I can tell, and better than the other liquid glucosamine supplement I was using (not one of the above mentioned brands, it was some other stuff I got from an online shop because I was buying other stuff there, but will not get again).

Unfortunately, Mollydog has tried all the supplements etc, and it's slowly getting worse. We are now down to painkillers or acupuncture: I'd like to try her on the latter really - she's only 8! but so far haven't found anyone local who can offer it.

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers: Thank you so much for all your comments and suggestions. Its really given me some food for thought. I've ordered some green lipped mussels online tonight and will try these with glucosamine supplements and see how he goes on. I'm really reluctant to put him on "proper" drugs, although will if needs be.....

Victoria - I'm so sorry to hear about Mollydogs problems :GroupHug: I read your other thread and it sounds like she's still having loads of fun though. Hoping you find something to help soon :flowers:

We used metacam with my oldie lurcher Ben with excellent results. I would be wary of Rimadyl too. We tried different supplements with Ben first, but nothing helped as much as Metacam. We felt with Ben that quality is better than quantity and wanted him to be as pain free and as comfortable as possible.

I would stay clear of Bakers, it has 13 E numbers, some of them banned in other countries and some, known carcinogenics :ohmy:

"It may be an idea to swap his food though - Bakers complete isn't the best food in the world to be feeding them "

I would stay clear of Bakers, it has 13 E numbers, some of them banned in other countries and some, known carcinogenics

:ohmy: :ohmy: Oscar's been on Bakers complete since we got him - I had no idea :ohmy: It seems to "agree" with him ok, but I'll start looking for alternatives

thank you :flowers:

To be honest I'm shocked that a vet would give a 16 year old dog with health problems any boosters - they are only to be given to animals who are 100% healthy and at 16, I'm quite sure he's had more than enough 'boosters' in his life. However, what's done is done.

I would think about changing his diet to real food. Neither Pedigree nor Bakers are up to much. Real meat, fish, veg and fruit would support his body much more and he'd get more goodness from them. Have a read at this

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=9616

and yes, even at his age it would make a difference. Like you, my first dog was fed commercial as I didn't know better, by 8 she had arthritis which steadily got worse and worse. Eventually someone told me to feed her lamb, yes real lamb to help her stomach which was destroyed by Metacam and sardines to help her legs - when I did so I could see a difference, not enough for her to suddenly get up and run around again, but better.

I wouldn't touch either Rimadyl or Metacam. Metacam gave my girl serious Colitis which blooming nearly killed her on many an coccasion. I know of one dog who started pouring blood out his back end after one dose.

Here's what I did for my girl.......

What worked for my old lady dog was Runaround from Stock Nutrition, which is Green Lipped Mussel, Shark Cartilage, Vitamins C & E. Within 5 days on that, she was trotting a couple of miles, with no trace of a limp, having previously only been able to stagger to the end of the road on very shaky pins, where she was lying down to watch the traffic while on Metacam. She was great on the Runaround for a couple of years.

Then her legs got worse again and I added in Garlic, Greenleaf Tablets from Denes, Osteotrace tablets from ARONHA, got her a magnetic collar, used crystals – Blue Lace Agate to start with, and others, she also had Acupuncture for months, but I eventually stopped that and did acupressure on her myself after having been shown by an Acupuncturist how and where would be most beneficial. These were all added in at various times as the need arose. She also latterly had Reiki which helped enormously and I believe gave her an extra 6 months with me.

There are loads of natural products and therapies out there which I am sure would help enormously. The trick is, as ever, finding the right thing for YOUR dog, which is where your gut comes in – you’ll know what’s right.

Homeopathy can also work wonders. Hannah just didn’t want it, she preferred herbs etc. The book which helped me a lot and sent me in various correct directions for Hannah is - Natural Healthcare for Pets by Richard Allport (available from the library). He covers a wide range of natural therapies and is based in Potters Bar, he’s one of the top Natural Vets.

Had I kept Hannah on Metacam, she would have been dead by 12 as the Vet prophesied, but once I changed her to natural treatments she was MUCH happier, healthier, fitter and had a much greater quality of life. She lived to 15 years and 6½ weeks!

Runaround is available from Stock Nutrition www.doghealth.co.uk Phone 08000 744302 They are very helpful.

Denes website is www.denes.com Phone 01273 325364 They also have a range of Factsheets which they will send out free of charge very quickly if you ask. They’re also very helpful.

ARONHA - Phone 01943 862893

I know Glucosamine can be great too.

Some other products I believe can be helpful are :

Mobileaze www.aviform.co.uk I know someone who has used this very successfully with her Weimaraners.

Cortaflex

Synflex

Ease by Phytopet 01244 813162 email [email protected]

Deer Velvet www.velvetenergy.com

Copper Collars help some dogs, but obviously not at the same time as a magnetic one!

Fish oil can help too.

Vit C

Vit E

Apple Cider Vinegar

Hydrotherapyetc, etc, etc............

CMO

Nowadays I'd start with real food, adding in garlic, vit C, E, B, Fish oil, perhaps evening primrose oil, ACV, etc, etc....

I read about another supplement the other day that may interest you - Serrapeptase

http://www.serrapeptase.info/pets.htm

:GroupHug: I forgot to say, Tasha ia also on Glucosamine every day (100mg) and has oliy fish..sardines in sunflower oil etc a few times a week..not every day as it can cause her to get the trots :wacko: , this seems to keep her under control and I dont use Metacam or the Zubrin daily, only when she needs it, which isn't often now :biggrin: but again, every dog is different..I truly would be wary of Rimadyl..I was foolish and didnt read up on it before giving it her..then when she began to bleed from her back end after 1 day! :ohmy: I did and WOW some of the write ups about it are SCARRRRRRRRRRRRRRY!

Good luck x

I've read everyone's replies (and links) and have to say I feel dreadful. I'm obviously guilty of being someone who just "picked up his food with the general shopping / not done any research, etc" ..... until now. As I mentioned earlier, his food has always seemed to "agree" with Oscar, but god knows what unseen damage this sh1t could have been causing :( .

Oscar's Bakers is going in the bin tomorrow. I've ordered some Runaround online and will get some alternative (I'm thinking Burns) food for him tomorrow.. His green-lipped mussel extract should be here soon and he'll be getting a complete diet change (although I'll have to do it gradually..)

To say I feel an unfit mum is a bit of an exaggeration, but not much... :( :( This has been a real shock to me, but thank you all for your comments. I feel pretty stupid, but am grateful.

Don't feel awful, you've given Oscar a wonderful life since he's been with you :GroupHug: I started off feeding one of ours on Pedigree as it had been recommended and I didn't know then what I know now, but the petshop advised other foods and I'm really glad someone was there to put me on the right path :flowers:

I am glad you are ditching the Bakers though, it really is sh1te! I know the general rule is to phase a new food in gradually but with something like Bakers I would, if it were my dog :flowers: just move them onto the new food straight away. Burns is a good dry food and there are others too - mine all have Naturediet and do very well on it. I put our oldie Sweetie onto it straight away as I couldn't find out what she had previously been fed and she didn't have any problems at all.

Would also agree with Muriel about the boosters :flowers: