UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Went To The Rspca Halewood Yesterday

katie deans

Yesterday I went with my friend to the RSPCA to see if they had any rescue buns that were looking for a new home. While we were there we had to have a look at the dogs (even though I knew it would break my heart :mecry: )

Id say at least 50% of the dogs were bull breeds or crosses and it was heartbreaking to see them in their kennels looking totally miserable and dejected until you spoke to them and then they were desperate to be cuddled, fussed and loved...it was even more heartbreaking knowing I had to walk away as unfortunately Im just not in a position to take on another pooch :mecry:

There was one poor doglet who had the most severe bowed front legs I have ever seen and he had the most pathetic sad lonely look on his face...above his kennel (where the number of the dog usually is) was a sign saying "not for sale under the dangerous dogs act".

I asked all the staff I saw (probably 5 or 6) what the story was and why he was on display with the dogs available for rehoming but nobody could, or would give me an answer...in my opinion this dog was no more "type" than my neighbours lhasa.

Id love to find out why his kennel had the sign on...Id also love to know why he was there when he was unavailable for rehoming? Im not suggesting he should be locked away somewhere but you could clearly see some of the dogs were becoming quite stressed in that environment with the public coming and going and I dont understand why you would put a dog through that if it wasnt necessary...his barking and crying was in vain as nobody could take him home - it was as though he was some kind of freak show :mecry:

Just wondered what other people thought?

Edited by katie deans

I suppose it's possible he was there because he was alledged to have bitten someone and there was an investigation/prosecution pending, rather than because he was a Pit Bull type? In that case he may have an owner. I know the police sometimes hold dogs while cases are waiting to get to court, though I'm not sure if they would use an RSPCA centre for this.

Very sad, whatever the circumstances. I hope there's a good ending for him :mecry: :GroupHug:

Difficult to comment Katie without knowing more, but don't forget the DDA doesn't just apply to "type" dogs but also to dogs of any breed who may have been reported as dangerous. The dog could have bitten someone, or been accused of being "out of control" and could be awaiting assessment, a court decision etc.

Maybe the staff didn't feel comfortable discussing the situation with a member of the public, especially if there's some kind of legal action pending :flowers: As to why the dog was in public view, perhaps with the amount of dogs they take in, they just don't have anywhere else to hold him?

Edit, was typing at the same time as Fee.